Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,528   Posts: 1,572,421   Online: 1163

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leica IIIc

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Leica IIIc

I am a part time WWII reenactor. Well at least I will be next year and I will pose as a war correspondent. I want to be as authentic as possible. I am watching eBay but does anyone know where I might acquire a Leica IIIc w/ a 50mm f/2 lens for next to DIRT CHEAP? I know, 'Yeah, RIGHT!' Anyone? Thank you.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought the IIIc was a post war camera. You missed out on a IIIb for sale here. I didn't.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How much really is "dirty cheap"?

Cheers

André

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If I were you, I'd get a Russian copy. Not a "snakeskin covered Golden Luftwaffe Leica Copy", but either just a bog standard Zorki or a Leica-engraved one. That's going to look more like a II than a III, but at least it won't cost a fortune.

That's the only way to get "dirt cheap" and "Leica" in the same sentence.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The IIIC is almost two models WWII and post WWII the serial number turn over is 4xxxxx, from memory!

A Fed 1 is nearly indinguishable from a leica II and a real photog might have used a II in WWII. just get a Leitz hood as well to look the real thing, the Leitz hood will be as much $ as the Fed, but the cache value to experts real big! A f2 lens would be more difficult.

Noel

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I believe the IIIc was made from 1940 to 1951, and would be authentic for the period if it was available during the early part of the war. It likely would have come with a 50mm f/2 Summitar which was made from 1939 to 1945. The 50mm f/2 Summar was discontinued in 1940, but was probably used where the newer lens was unavailable. During the war photographers used whatever they could find. I knew one GI who found a lens and shutter, and made a camera body for it.

Eugene Smith used at least a Contax and a 6x6 Zeiss folding camera in combat. When he left the States as a war correspondent in 1942 he insured the ten cameras he carried. On one assignment aboard ship in 1943 or 1944 he carried three TLRs, a Kodak Medalist, a 4x5 Graflex, two Speed Graphics, and a Contax with five lenses. Not all photographers were so well equipped. The Army contracted for rather basic 35mm Kodaks for some photography.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Some IIIc has shark skin body cover that is used in replacement for rare vulcanite materials during the wartime.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, IIIC started in 1940. After waking up, I realized I should have been thinking the IIIC was the first re-introduced when the war ended.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Leica IIIC models made during WWII were generally made of inferior materials and are now in many cases worn-out junk incapable of being repaired. Unfortunately the poor materials extend to the chrome finish and they look really bad! I had one once which I bought cheap, tried and failed to get fixed and sold in the end for around £100, which is dirt cheap by Leica standards.

Many Russian fakes seem to be based on the Leica II (speeds 1/20 to 1/500, no slow speeds). Many of these would still have been in use in WWII and would thus look authentic. Be sure to buy one which has not been given too much fake engraving and which resembles a real Leica as closely as possible. A real photojournalist would have preferred an f2 lens but an f3.5 (fake) Elmar would also look right.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thank you. I'l look at the II's and the Zorki's are much closer to my price range. Thanks for the help.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin