Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,369   Online: 1099

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I need your opinion please

I tried my new Bessa I this weekend. I used Hp-5+ ,spacing of the frames is good images are good but there is strip abut 1/ 8" wide couple of mm of the end of each frame going right across. I have to open the little window to look when I advance film. Did I do something wrong or is it cameras fault?
    Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks Greg
    Last edited by Buster6X6; 10-29-2006 at 10:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The negative has dried so this is how it looks like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bessa I,2.jpg  

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It sure looks like the "window leak" I got on an old Kodak for awhile - until I started seeking pretty deep shade in which to advance my film. I use 100 asa film now and change only away from sunlight. It's a pain, but I haven't had any trouble lately - with any of my old folders.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try making a little cardboard and tape window-shade to shield the window when advancing film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience with window leaks, is that they are not linear like your neg. Your neg looks more like a light leak from the back of the camera. Check any seals (I don't know if there are any on the Bessa). Maybe your back is sprung a little and is letting light in. When it looks like it is right across the negative, it is usually deposited on the film when it is being wound onto the takeup spool. Could be a bellows leak too.

Rick.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks every one who replied. I checked bellows and looks like it is tight. Paper is on top of the film and the plate with the window is pressing down. the light seems to be coming from the front of the negative?The leader has a continuation of this exposed strips one after another until the first frame for about 3"s.

Greg

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was looking over the camera again with a point LED light I have and found one of the rivets going to the takeup spool from out side bellows missing .So there is a 100 thou hole open to the chamber where film rolls on takeup spool.Would something like that cause a pattern I have shown?

Greg

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd doubt that is a red-window light leak. They usually affect one side of the negative, and don't streak across the negative.

Your rivet hole is a good candidate - try some tape over it first. Remember too that the negative is recorded upside down - that should help track it down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you very much. I installed a new revet and will go on the weekend to try Bessa I out.

Greg

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Buster6X6 View Post
    Thank you very much. I installed a new revet and will go on the weekend to try Bessa I out.

Greg
    I went today and exposed a roll of film it worked as it should. No light leaks spacing is great and exposure right on. Now I can take camera with me every way I go.

Greg

Buster6X6

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin