Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,817   Online: 864

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Here's one question for you: Will you consistently have access to electricity? Or would you rather have a camera that doesn't depend on batteries?

If you go the folder route, you could easily take that, a sackful of film and a selenium meter and not have to worry about running out of battery power just when you least want to.

Many of the folders are relatively light in weight and fold into a compact package. You give up interchangeable lenses, which could be a big issue if you really would like to be able to switch to different focal lengths.
    I have always been attracted to MF folders - but never had the chance to get one (one that has been restored). I think that ought to be a good choice, though I hear that you end up zone focusing more than with some other cameras.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    Unfortunately, as far as I know, Mamiya is now gone as well since their business was to have been sold in September. I will drop by the Mamiya (MAC) booth on Saturday at Photo Plus to see what they are doing besides importing other lines of equipment. It will be interesting to see what happens with the price of Mamiya equipment under these circumstances.

Rich
    Mamiya was fat'n'happy at photokina and indeed introduced new products. The reports of their death are, to use the old cliche, greatly exaggerated.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I have always been attracted to MF folders - but never had the chance to get one (one that has been restored). I think that ought to be a good choice, though I hear that you end up zone focusing more than with some other cameras.

I've had LOTS of these over the last 40 years and there are very few that I would give house-room. Above all, avoid any that have front-cell focusing (I've never found a sharp one yet) -- and that's assuming that the front struts are still rigid, 40 or 50 years on. The only one I'd really like (I've used one, but never owned one) is the Japanese Plaubel Makina doppel-klapp with the 80 Nikkor. These go for serious money.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by rjas View Post
    Weight and size are the main issues.
    Quite honestly, there's no contest: 35mm is ALWAYS smaller, lighter and more convenient, and this is multiplied when you add more lenses. Yes, the big neg is nice, but the camera will always be at least twice the volume and weight, often more. My wife Frances Schultz and I travel a lot -- as much as we can afford in terms of both time and money -- by car, air and motorcycle, and in the last, space and weight are at a real premium. You can see a lot of our pictures in www.rogerandfrances.com, both in the galleries and in the Photo School.

The only easy way to get close focus (or to be more accurate, a decent sized image on the film) is with a 90mm lens. These usually focus to 1 metre or so and allow maybe 1/10 life size on the film. Convenient close focus with MF RF: forget it.

Given your proposed 'living rough' style, durability will also be an issue. A second-hand M-series Leica is the only RF I'd consider in your situation, probably an M2 with Voigtlander lenses to save money (and maybe bulk). I'd go for 35/1.7 (for compact speed), 50/2.5 and 90/3.5 (compactness and light weight in both cases). Also, all three take 39mm filters. The 28/1.9 is good if you insist upon 28 but is much bigger and heavier and takes bigger filters: in that case I'd be inclined to go for 28/3.5 Voigtlander, 50/2 Summicron or Heliar (your fast lens) and 90/3.5 again. Thios would once more allow you to stick withl 39mm filters. A 135 will be too big and heavy.

You might care to look for a copy of RANGEFINDER (GMC Publications, Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz -- ISBN 1-86108-330-0, further information on the website if you click on 'Books').

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Bronica RF645 should suit you very well. Not too big, not too heavy, great lenses and proper sized film There are enough that come up for sale through ebay and other online sellers, some being sold with both 45 & 65m lenses. It is only the 100 (or 135mm) that is expensive.

When we were travelling quite a bit, I always packed an old folder or two. I almost always took the Iskra - easy to carry, great lens, coupled RF, 1m close focus and "auto" film advance.

Having said all that, film availability would favour the 35mm route.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post

Many of the folders are relatively light in weight and fold into a compact package. You give up interchangeable lenses, which could be a big issue if you really would like to be able to switch to different focal lengths.
    I would really like to have the option of a wide angle and a normal or normal - telephoto. sometimes you just cant get close enough. The size of a folder is great, I'd just like more than one lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Quite honestly, there's no contest: 35mm is ALWAYS smaller, lighter and more convenient, and this is multiplied when you add more lenses.
    R.
    Thanks for the information and the book ref. I was fearing that 35mm would have to be the way to go. I'm just getting way too spoiled by silky smooth enlargments from 6x6. I've almost forgotten that a year ago I was printing only 35mm negs 6"x9" and saying to myself that I'd never need to print bigger for the kind of work I do!

I've got some time to decide. I'll be looking for a Bronica Rf645 but if I can't get one for a reasonable price I think I'll take a compact 35mm.

Thanks everyone!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For 'silky smooth' from 35mm try XP2 also...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I partly agree with Roger Hicks in that for extended travel a small solid 35mm takes some beating. Bear in mind the amound of frames you anticipate shooting and how you will deal with them. Certainly at 36 frames per roll, a 35mm will result in far less bulky film requirements.

As for MF, if this is your preferred route I would go for the RF645 every time over the Mamiya 7 IF and ONLY IF you do not shoot longer than std lenses. The camera is great (I have two bodies, 45mm and 65) but the 100 and 135 are becoming like hens teeth and very expensive. A leica M will me more rugged and less prone to rangefinder issues than a Mamiya 7 from what I read.

My call. Leica M for 35mm or Mamiya 7/RF645 for MF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or a Bessa R3M if you want an inexpensive manual rangefinder....
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin