Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,376   Online: 805

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I love my mamiya 6- absolutely adore it. The compactness of it really makes it easier to travel with than a 35mm SLR. I enjoy shooting squares. I had no idea how much the aspect ratio of the VF would influence my framing until I started shooting squares... I really prefer it now.

The lens selection for the mamiya 7 and 7ii is better- you can go wider and longer, but having tried all of the mamiyas, I still prefer the 6. The biggest difference between them, beside lenses, is the metering. For really critical stuff I have my hand meter anyway.

The extra cm of film is nothing at all; I personally prefer shooting square and cropping to 645 in portrait or landscape orientation. But if pano is your thing then you'd be better with a 7ii or perhaps the fuji gsw690 which of course gives 6x9cm negs through a very wide lens. But the fuji is a rarety now, the price is starting to approach that of the mamiyas and it is a fixed lens RF with no frills!

If I have any gripe about the mamiyas it's that the glass isn't fast, typically f/4. But for what I do with the 6, landscape and such, it is perfect. I do a lot of IR stuff and for that I love the medium format RFs. Unlike with 35mm camera, you can work up to ISO 3200 or even 6400 and grain won't kill your shot. Of course the 35mm RFs can take glass that is at least two stops faster, so it's a trade off. indeed there are some shots that can only be gotten with a 35mm RF, and I still deploy mine now and then. But unless you work mostly in low available light, the medium format RFs will generate far superior enlargements. I mean, in sunny 16 light, the difference between a 35mm chrome and a medium format one is really astounding, the MF chrome really almost rivals 4x5" large format in terms of detail.

Say here's an idea, go nuts and get a crown graphic, and get a roll film holder for it. Then you can shoot up to 6x12cm on roll film. The total cost will be about $500-600 and you can shoot 4x5" when you feel like it. I love my old crown.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post

My call. Leica M for 35mm or Mamiya 7/RF645 for MF.
    I would chime in that Voigtlander, Leica and Zeiss Ikon all make very fine 35mm rangefinders and the lenses are interchangeable amongst them. The Leica has the best reputation, but the others are significantly cheaper. Especially new, but also used.

Leicas have a deserved reputation of lasting just about forever if you are willing to have them serviced every so often (though some have been beat to heck and hold up without this). And you can get them serviced.

I bought Zeiss Ikon because I wanted new, and couldn't handle a new Leica price tag. (I live far enough away that I couldn't handle any used Leica equipment and would have to buy sight unseen, which I did not want to do).
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Say here's an idea, go nuts and get a crown graphic, and get a roll film holder for it. Then you can shoot up to 6x12cm on roll film. The total cost will be about $500-600 and you can shoot 4x5" when you feel like it. I love my old crown.[/QUOTE]

Kindly inform me as to the make and model of 6x12cm roll film holder that will fit my 4x5 Crown, which has a standard Graflock fit. I'd love to use 120 film and get the 6x12 format. Which lens is recommended for extra wide angle coverage?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl K View Post
    Kindly inform me as to the make and model of 6x12cm roll film holder that will fit my 4x5 Crown, which has a standard Graflock fit. I'd love to use 120 film and get the 6x12 format. Which lens is recommended for extra wide angle coverage? ...
    The cheap route is to get one of the Chinese roll film holders. Shen Hao make one, as do Da Yi, Guo Hua and several others. Some are fixed 6x12, some have masks to allow you to shoot 6x6, 6x9 and 6x12. There are also holders up to 6x17.

If you want to spend a great deal more money, there are many others (Horseman, etc)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Say here's an idea, go nuts and get a crown graphic, and get a roll film holder for it. Then you can shoot up to 6x12cm on roll film. The total cost will be about $500-600 and you can shoot 4x5" when you feel like it. I love my old crown.
    Kindly inform me as to the make and model of 6x12cm roll film holder that will fit my 4x5 Crown, which has a standard Graflock fit. I'd love to use 120 film and get the 6x12 format. Which lens is recommended for extra wide angle coverage? [/QUOTE]

Well, it perhaps isn't your idea of "extra" wide, but I have been using a 90/8 Schneider and you can certainly go wider but probably not without some difficulty because the lens has to sit inside the "box" and then you have to focus by scooting it by hand. If you have used a crown you'll know what I mean. Anyway, I think you could probably work with a much wider lens if you don't mind awkward focusing, and of course you'd have virtually no movements. I also recall some nutjob fitting a fisheye for an rb67 on his crown, which I have been tinkering with but haven't had time to get in the shop and make the mount. That would permit capture of the full image circle on 4x5 film. I am still not sure whether it's worth doing

As for the 612 back, someone on here referred me to the Chinese-made one labeled Da Yi that goes for about $220 on ebay. Please don't take this as an endorsement because I don't have one, I am considering some other pricier (>$500, but also perhaps more reputable) 612 backs. But if you can get it and put some film through it with the option to return, maybe it'd work for you.

Of course you could also just ditch the whole crown/612 back idea and get a fotoman, people seem happy with those.

P.S. Ah I see you got the same answer on the Da Yi while I was typing away ^^^

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kindly inform me as to the make and model of 6x12cm roll film holder that will fit my 4x5 Crown, which has a standard Graflock fit. I'd love to use 120 film and get the 6x12 format. Which lens is recommended for extra wide angle coverage?
    The Horseman 612 will fit. It is more expensive than the Chinese ones, but very well made. "Extra wide" is a bit subjective but I would recommend experimenting with the back and whatever lenses you have now before you commit. The 1:2 aspect ratio can create a sense of "wideness" that 4x5 doesn't.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been looking for a Leica M6 classic or maybe an M2 if I can figure out if shooting 28mm on it is doable without the external finder. Anyone know of any reputable sources that sell these? Would prefer not to bid on ebay.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Why not a Fuji? Fuji makes superb MF cameras with great lenses.

I carry my G690 with 2 or 3 lenses everywhere I go. The problem is that it's a little on the heavy side and I prefer to travel light. Here's the trick: I have been on a diet for a few weeks and have lost 6kg. That's much more than the weight of my whole photo bag!

If the big 690 series seem overkill to you, remember Fuji also makes nice 6x4.5 rangefinder or autofocus cameras. They are perfect for travellers: easy to use and lightweight.

Cheers,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbazz View Post
    Why not a Fuji? Fuji makes superb MF cameras with great lenses.

I carry my G690 with 2 or 3 lenses everywhere I go. The problem is that it's a little on the heavy side and I prefer to travel light. Here's the trick: I have been on a diet for a few weeks and have lost 6kg. That's much more than the weight of my whole photo bag!

If the big 690 series seem overkill to you, remember Fuji also makes nice 6x4.5 rangefinder or autofocus cameras. They are perfect for travellers: easy to use and lightweight.

Cheers,
    I have been drooling over that Fuji for some time.

I think the real choice is not what sort of rangefinder do you get - but if you want small, medium or large format -- then go from there.

the advantage of small format is primarily the size
    the medium format has a much larger negative though is large (and while the Mamiya 6/7 and Fuji are pretty compact, they are HUGE by small format standards)
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin