Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,006   Online: 775

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mps View Post
    With Leica rangefinders? At or around $1000! I am a novice by all means (35mm SLR only) and am looking at trying out other cameras/formats. I apologize for the navitiy of my question. But what gives?
    1. Quality product which can work long time without repairing

2. Having piece of history (Leica is founder of 35mm photography)

3. Name and being collectors items raise prices

4. Made in Germany, not in China. That means made by people who live in country where average sallary is 3000EURO, not by people in country where average sallary is 100EURO per month.

5. Assembled by people. That means it is assembeld by actual human being, not machine. And for that you have to have human being. And you have to give him/her sallary. And working hour of human beings (atleast in Europe - I hope) worth more than machines.

That would be that.

And saying that me too got Bessa R2A because could'n justify (and pay) Leica, even secondhand, prices...

mps

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks all for the info and recommendations. I by no means have a 1K budget, at least not right now!

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Leica is regarded by most as the undisputed Cadillac of 35mm rangefinder cameras.

I don't use one. I can't justify the expense, plus for what I do with a camera, I'm really not advanced enough to take advantage of, and to appreciate the edge that a Leica would give over a Canon GIII and a Mamiya SD.

I'm intrigued by their new M8, but I can't see paying *THAT* much for a digital, one where I would be stuck with shooting one and only one kind of "film" for the life of the camera.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yashica GSN's have a great lens. I have a BEssa R and am very happy with it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    With Leica rangefinders? At or around $1000! I am a novice by all means (35mm SLR only) and am looking at trying out other cameras/formats. I apologize for the navitiy of my question. But what gives?
    It's a bit like religion. If you have to ask, you won't understand. But if you try one and either you'll get it or you won't. Hallelujah, brother!

In about 1970-71 my then girlfriend wanted a cheap, reliable, high-quality camera. On my advice she bought a Leica II for £20 (maybe $40). Three weeks later she wanted it back so I bought a IIIa (for £30 or maybe $60). I've been using them ever since. Current stable: 2x M2, M4-P, MP, and (on loan) M8.

Borrow (or better still buy) a copy of RANGEFINDER, GMC Publications, 2003 and you might get a glimpse. Or not.

Finally, Leicas aren't expensive. I reckon my M4-P (bought new c. 25 years ago) has cost me maybe $1 a week since then. For EXPENSIVE cameras, try Alpa.

Cheers,

Roger (Take a look at www.rogerandfrances.com where you'll see lots of average or maybe slightly better Leica shots in the Galleries and elsewhere).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Leicas are the undisputed Linhof of 35mm rangefinder cameras.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What about a Contax IIa or IIIa?
    They aren`t that expensive and the quality is there.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They might be chaep. I you bought an M3 for whatever it cost in 1954, even though it was a lot. Use it for 50 years with some services, and sell it for $600 today. Sounds like a good deal to me.

/matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Roger Hicks;389109]

Finally, Leicas aren't expensive. I reckon my M4-P (bought new c. 25 years ago) has cost me maybe $1 a week since then. For EXPENSIVE cameras, try Alpa.
    [QUOTE]

If Leica will give me new MP or M7 with few lenses and let me to pay 1USD a week untill I pay it off I will take it and even say thanks. But, things are not going that way I am afraid...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You are asking a very volitile question. Doing so bespeaks of your naivite.

I suggest that you take a visit over to the Rangefinder Forum website:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/

I would also suggest that you "modify" your query when you post there and just ask:

"Should I buy a Leica for my first RF camera"?

Then, put on a helmet and watch the fireworks!

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin