Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,924   Posts: 1,522,104   Online: 790

Page 1 of 25 123456711 ... LastLast
    mps

Shooter
    35mm

What's the big deal.... [about Leica]

With Leica rangefinders? At or around $1000! I am a novice by all means (35mm SLR only) and am looking at trying out other cameras/formats. I apologize for the navitiy of my question. But what gives?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Get a Voigtlander Bessa R2 and forget about the Leica. If you find them expensive, you don't need one.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    They are certainly solidly built and have quality optics, but a lot of the inflation of price has to do with collectors demand and people who place a high value on name recognition.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mps View Post
    With Leica rangefinders? At or around $1000! I am a novice by all means (35mm SLR only) and am looking at trying out other cameras/formats. I apologize for the navitiy of my question. But what gives?
    Leica is made in Germany and has a great reputation. They have always been expensive, even in the 1950's which was their heyday. So, the reputation, and place of manufacture conspire to make them really expensive. They are also viewed as being something of a luxury item, especially new.

They are collected avidly, and they both are repairable, and are well built enough that they can last 50-70 years usually. This makes the used prices rather high.

If you are on a budget ($1000 is nice), and want to buy new, as was said earlier, a Voigtlander RF + lens will do you really well and you will be able to have the whole package under $1000.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Images
    I am no fan of over priced cameras and will never be able to afford a Leica, much less justify it if I could, but they are nice. They just feel like they belong in your hand. SOunds weird but that is how I felt when I was loaned one for a day.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree, Mark. I liked the feel so much I bought a couple of Zorki 1s, which are obviously different, but really much less so than many people think. The 'feel' is there, and they are just fun to shoot with. I like to carry one around with me when I shoot with my regular cameras. There's something about the collapsible lens that is great too, although I can't put my finger on it...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a Minolta.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forgot to add that for abotu $1000 you should be able to get a Hasselblad 500 series kit (like 500C) in good shape. Medium Format gives very nice results.

Also in MF you can get a kit for Pentax 6x7, Bronica, Fuji Rangefinders.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try a Bessa R2 or R3 with Voigtlander lenses A 50/1.5 is a superb lens and you'll catch the RF bug.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Leica R series cameras and I have since 1984. No question new or used, Leicas are expensive. However, if you handle and use them be they the older screw, M, R (or the older SL) series cameras and lenses they are wonderful and remarkable instruments. No other 35mm camera that I have ever handled or used have the feel and handling of these cameras. They certainly feel right in the hand and their quality of manufacture is beyond reproach.

Their lenses optically and mechanically are also generally outstanding. As to the focus of these manual focus lenses, no other manual focusing 35mm lenses that I am aware of have the same buttery feel for focus. This is due to the usage of the self lubricating brass on aluminum helix. The lenses have no backlash in focus but the lenses tend to be heavy due to the weight of the metal parts as well as the amount of glass found in many of their lenses.

Optical performance of most Leicas are also legendary. Leica lenses generally perform better than much of their competition wide open (by design). Leica also tends to design their optics to perform more evenly for lines per millimeter than many of their competitors. Their lenses may not resolve as many lines however at the center. Leica puts tremendous effort in aligning the elements in their lenses which contribute to their performance. Additionally, their have been some photographers that claim that they can recognize images taken with a Leica and separate those images taken by other makes. I do not claim to have that ability. However, I have been very pleased by the performance of my Leica glass.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Page 1 of 25 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin