Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,899   Posts: 1,584,388   Online: 696

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rollei 35 S

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    The 35S is a very lovable camera and I use mine a lot as I walk around with a camera in the pocket. It actually fits in my front pants pockets.. not being the type to wear tight jeans.

But I think the important issue is the type of photography you tend to do. If you walk around shooting close up details.. say from 6 feet to 3 feet.. it probably isn't the best camera as the focus is too critical for guesstimation. If you generally shoot 15 feet and further it is very easy to do the focus estimate. It is best to shoot a 400 speed film and get a couple extra fstops or shutter speeds to get maximum sharpness.
    Esentially, I will be using the camera for two things--first and foremost to shoot Kodachrome in the mindset of "use it or lose it" and losing Kodachrome is a sad thought (and a whole different topic!) The second thing I would like to do is have a camera with me when I am driving around town to take shots of things/places/etc. that I would like to go back and revisit with large format. From the sounds of it, the Rollei will fit the ticket!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do like my 35s and it appears that it will fit the bill for you. But, as noted in a prior post, the slower film (ISO 64 I assume) with it's attendant need for wider aperatures could be an issue with zone focusing. I don't know about your stable of LF lenses, but it would be nice if the field of view of whatever 35mm you use matched your most common or favorite 4x5 lens (after adjusting for 4x5 dimensions. But be careful that a prior owner did not force the lens when closing it (an all too common problem).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are terrible cameras that shoot terrible slides

I brought my Rollei 35 (Singapore Tessar) to the UK a couple of months ago and managed OK with 100 speed slide film.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mike,

They look really good.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had a 35S (f2.8) (Singapore) since 1983 and it has a beautifully sharp lens, BUT the meter has become unreliable though it works at high light levels. No-one can fix them since parts are not available. For black and white or colour neg work guesswork is often ok, but for reversal work it's not acceptable. A Voigtlander VC meter II on a cord around my neck is the solution.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    They are terrific to my dictionary.

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also own an S-type but can't use him at the moment because the battery. Can somebody tell me where I can get those batteries PX625-HD or wich type you are using therefore... I had sometime ago an replacement type but discoverd some lightmetering problems. Thanks
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.rolleicamera.com/sales-batt-adapt.htm I bought one of those adapters from them for my 35SE. Works well.
    Another site: www.criscam.com

Good luck
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz View Post
    http://www.rolleicamera.com/sales-batt-adapt.htm I bought one of those adapters from them for my 35SE. Works well.
    Another site: www.criscam.com

Good luck
    Hans
    Thanks Hans.
    Is there also someone who can help me on a user manual of this camera (Rollei 35S)?
    Last edited by hka; 11-28-2006 at 05:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The battery only operates the meter. The shutter is manual, as is aperture selection.

I would buy a handheld meter and forego the convenience of the onboard meter.

With most shooting, you'll be pressed to see the difference between the Tessar and Sonnar lens.

The backward ergonomics aren't that difficult to become accustomed to. Some users never seem to be able to adjust, and if you're very rigid and believe a camera should operate in a very particular manner and controls need to be in certain locations, then the Rollei might night be the best choice.

Great little cameras, best pressure plate ever and very sharp photos.

Getting good at estimating distances does take time. The 40mm lens helps to compensate for some -- but not all -- focusing errors.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin