Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,961   Online: 899

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rollei 35 S

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For shooting chromes, you might want to look for a 35SE which has a better meter, but the same lens.

Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    Esentially, I will be using the camera for two things--first and foremost to shoot Kodachrome ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm not a fan of the SE or TE. The placement of the LEDs inside the viewfinder is not intuitive with this camera.

The camera's original meter is designed to be held at waist level (more or less), so that you can use the index and thumb of each hand to rotate the aperture and shutter speed dials while you peer down at the meter needle. It's so easy even a caveman could do it. Set the exposure, take your shot.

Moving the LEDs into the viewfinder requires you to either use it as aperture priority or shutter priority. The camera is too small, and front mounted shutter and aperture dials on either side of the lens is not ideal, which makes the lack of in-viewfinder information even more difficult.

You usually just spend time rotating one of the dial and invariably pull the camera down to check the settings. The you put the camera back up to your eye to find that the green LED is no longer set. So you rotate, check, rotate.

This is one of those cases where they should have embedded three LEDs in the top deck and skipped in-viewfinder metering or just not used LEDs at all. Sometimes, improvements aren't really improvements. This, I think, is one of those cases.

The CdS meter is "good enough" for most scenes, I think.
    Last edited by elekm; 11-28-2006 at 04:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    elekm - Thanks for saving me all that typing!
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz View Post
    Thanks again...
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry I mentioned it. Whatever...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hey, that's cool. We can disagree in a civil manner.

You're right about the TE/SE having better meters. I believe they are silicon cells, correct?

In use, I just think Rollei strayed too far from the original concept of how the meter should work seamlessly with the controls at waist-level. I also have the TE and SE. Lovely cameras, but working that meter just doesn't do it for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Likewise, I didn't mean to tread on your toes there, WF.

If you prefer the LED style 35 then you have an absolute right to do so. Let's face it; they are all absolutely superb cameras. Someone higher up the thread described them as 'loveable' and I think that nails it.

I'm currently wrestling with my urge to pick up another 35, a needle-match chrome Sonnar to compliment my needle-match black Tessar. Pure GAS, but there you go!

Will I carry both at once? Probably not (they're heavy little sods!). Will I be able to tell the difference in lens quality? Probably not. Will the extra stop make any difference to my shooting? Given that they're zone-focus, probably not. Is it a good use of the money? Erm, probably not, just at the moment!

Do I lust after it anyway? YOU BET I FLIPPIN' DO!
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've had 4, and still own 2 Rollei 35s models. The closest lens to it on any of the cameras I have ever owned, ( I belong to a camera collector club ) was a M-4 with a 50-f2 summicron.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If someone would say: We will do a professional shooting session, but I won't disclose wether it'll be portrait, landscape, etc, and you'll be allowed to carry only one 35mm camera and one lens for this day, I'd use the Rollei 35s - not any of my Nikons.

Reason: The lens is the best I can imagine. No distortion, no chromatic abberation, razor sharp with excellent contrast, and the 2.8/40mm is perfect for most situations.

I've even shot several portraits with it with some stunning results.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin