Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,537   Posts: 1,544,276   Online: 779

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brian,

Judging by your website and previous postings, I think you might find the R3A right up your alley. Whenever I'm shooting 40mm or longer and moving targets, it's always the body I go to. The 1:1 finder allows you to keep both eyes open, so you see the bright frame floating in your full field of vision and you're not separated from the action by the camera. I'd probably even go with the R3A for 35mm lenses and estimate (if I had a 35mm). The effective rf baseline is also a little longer than the wider Bessa finders.

I'd like an R3M for my style of shooting (weren't out when I bought), but I'd guess from your work that you might prefer the R3A for the autoexposure capacity. Look carefully at the cameraquest site for the R2M and R3M front shutter curtains and you'll also see a somewhat more centerweighted metering pattern than on the R2A and R3A models.

My R3A took a hit from a hard soccer shot only a couple of meters away from the foot that kicked it, glancing off the lens and the corner of the body. I was able to remove the hot shoe cover and reset the resulting slightly misaligned vertical RF alignment without a trip the the repair shop. It's not built like a Leica, but it's not a wimp.

Lee

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Brian,

Judging by your website and previous postings, I think you might find the R3A right up your alley.
    Lee
    Lee,
    Thanks for your comments.
    My photography is evolving some, so I am getting away from the mountain bike stuff so speed isn't as much of a concern.
    I appreciate you looking at my site for your thoughts.
    I really like the R3A from what I have seen.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian View Post
    Bill,
    Thanks for your very detailed reply.
    Form this and the other research I have done, I am now thinking of the Bessa R3A.
    Brian
    You're very welcome, Brian.

If you are not able to handle an R3A before you purchase, you would be well advised to buy from a dealer who will take returns no questions asked. The 1:1 finder is great, but many people have problems seeing the 40 frame lines - especially people with glasses but not them exclusively. I'm one of those people. I'm not advising against it, but just that you should make sure you're comfortable with it one way or another before you're locked into the purchase. There are certainly users who love this camera - & there are many good reasons to do so.

Enjoy your new camera!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm also now on my way of getting rid of my Canon SLR system and heading towards an RF. Was considering Contax G2, however an AF on the rangefinder sound a bit weird to be, chances I'll prefer split-image RF focusing given a good bright viewfinder is available.
    I just came to thought about Voightlander R2A or R3A, however I'm completely new to this brand.
    What about the lenses ? I'd like to have a triple set: 28mm, 40-50mm and 90-100mm. Leica M lenses are out of question, so I'm left with Voightlander own lenses. How are they in optical quality ? Are they far behind Zeiss Contax G lenses in optical value ? What lenses from this line are recommended ?
    I figure I can put up a full Contax G2 set of body and three Zeiss Contax lenses (all used in nearly mint condition) for around 1.2k$. How it fairs aainst similar Voightlander R2/3A setup ?

Thanks, Aled

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexz View Post
    I'm also now on my way of getting rid of my Canon SLR system and heading towards an RF. Was considering Contax G2, however an AF on the rangefinder sound a bit weird to be, chances I'll prefer split-image RF focusing given a good bright viewfinder is available.
    I just came to thought about Voightlander R2A or R3A, however I'm completely new to this brand.
    What about the lenses ? I'd like to have a triple set: 28mm, 40-50mm and 90-100mm. Leica M lenses are out of question, so I'm left with Voightlander own lenses. How are they in optical quality ? Are they far behind Zeiss Contax G lenses in optical value ? What lenses from this line are recommended ?
    I figure I can put up a full Contax G2 set of body and three Zeiss Contax lenses (all used in nearly mint condition) for around 1.2k$. How it fairs aainst similar Voightlander R2/3A setup ?

Thanks, Aled
    Aled,
    Check www.cameraquest.com for info on the R3A, as you can tell you and I are at the same cross road. I think the Voightlander optics will hold their own. I think price wise, the Besa R3A, new I might add, is about the same as what I have seen the G2 going for on EBAY.
    Brian
    Brian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Brian, I checked already their site.
    More or less understood about the camera, however have not a clue about their lenses. I know many consider this brand for body to put their Leica lenses on, but this is unlikely to be my case, going with Voightlander I'll have to use their own lenses. However so far I have no idea how good can be Voightlander optics, can it be comparable to Contax Zeiss glass quality-wise ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    More or less understood about the camera, however have not a clue about their lenses. I know many consider this brand for body to put their Leica lenses on, but this is unlikely to be my case, going with Voightlander I'll have to use their own lenses. However so far I have no idea how good can be Voightlander optics, can it be comparable to Contax Zeiss glass quality-wise ?
    Aled,
    I with you there, but from what I can tell they seem to be good lens.
    For what it is worth if I get a Bessa, I will get the V-Lander lens.
    I will be liquidating my Nikon F100 outfit do this.
    Brian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Contax G-2 system with several lenses ranging from 21mm through 90mm.

I also have a Cosina Voigtlander R3A (and a R3M) and several C/V lenses, including the 21mm f4 Color Skopar, the 28mm f2.8 Color Skopar, the f2.0 collapsible Heliar and the 90mm Apo Lanthar.
    My C/V lenses perform very well indeed and compare very favorably with my Japanese made Carl Zeiss G-2 lenses
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 11-21-2006 at 05:16 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typos
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm

Thanks, Aled
    You will not be able to put together a Voigtlander kit for the price of the Contax G kit. Furthermore you will not be able to get lenses with the same maximum apertures as the Contax G lenses. Cosina does not make a Voigtlander telephoto lens as fast as the f/2.8 Sonnar 90 & compared with the Contax G 28/2.8 you'll have to choose between faster (f/1.9), bigger, & pricier or slower (f/3.5). There is a 50/2, but it's a limited edition & very expensive ($549). There are 2 other 50s (f/1.5 & f/2.5) at more modest prices but the f/1.5 is big & the more expensive of the two. There is also a 40/1.4, which is very compact. Keep in mind that most of the Voigtlander lenses are screw mount & require the purchase of a $60 adaptor for each in order to to be used on the R2 or R3 - except for the 40/1.4.

The Voigtlander lenses are very good, but the Contax G lenses are superb & at today's discounted prices, they're a real bargain.
    Last edited by Biogon Bill; 11-21-2006 at 11:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    I also have the 28mm f2.8 Color Skopar.
    Tom, I assume yuou mean the 28, f/3.5 Color-Skopar?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin