Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,440   Online: 978

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pros/Cons: Some wanted Voigtländer Choices

Ok so I have in mind three different Voigtländer lens that I would like to get one of, so going to list off desirable traits I'd like to see in order of most important to me to least, then the lens themselves with some thoughts I've gathered from them.

I am using a Canon P rangegefinder for those curious which camera I have that takes Leica Thread Mount lens.

Desired Traits
    0) Budget of about 340$ or less ( under 300$ is a plus ).
    1) Something 35mm or wider (preferably 28mm and wider, tho my canon has 35, 50, and 100 frame lines)
    2) Compact size from base of mount to front of lens. I'd like something I'd be able to put into my coat/jacket pocket when attached to the lens. Right now I can moderately do so with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 attached to it. Collapsible lens are a bad idea as most of them that I know of would "nick' the top light baffle plate and I've already had to repaint the tiny nick on the top inside the camera from a Leica Leitz Elmar collapsible scratching up against it when collapsed in a particular way ( if the fin is on top,t hen its the problem if the fin is on the bottom (ie: gap between two of the fins on the top) then its not a problem) However seems most of the wide lens are pretty short in length as it is and would be better than my 50mm collapsible or not.
    3) speed of aperture, while I'm used to having something faster than f/2, faster would be preferable on a wider lens, however its the least important of the traits as the three lens I'm thinking about are no faster than f/3.5

The Canidates as found on cameraquest.org (http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm)
    (in order of desirability thus far)

21mm f/4 Color-Skopar - 329$ new
    Lens seems small, I'm told by some its quite nice. Its not too fast (f/4) however that may not even be a big deal. Comes with it's own viewfinder if I choose to use it. Not sure if that small hood is removable or not. It is rangefinder coupled though I wonder if thats even necessary with the capability of hyperfocal settings.

28mm f/3.5 Color-Skopar - 285$
    A little faster, and a little cheaper. And "appears" to be a little smaller, but the focal length is longer. Also I have not heard anything bout the 28/3.5 so not sure exactly what to think of it, but seems easier for my budget (thats assuming I can get any of my cameras sold/traded on my trade ad to add up to that to that money)

15/4.5 Aspherical Super-Wide Heliar - 345$
    A friend of mine has the 15mm and really likes it, is not rangefinder coupled but according to even him it really doesnt even matter, it can be treated almost literally as a point and shoot lens just stop down the aperture some. But I can't help but think that maybe it would be 'too wide'

Any pros or cons any of you guys can offer on these selections, or even possibly other advised models/etc. The Voigtlanders appear to be a good deal given what quality they are against their 'new' prices.
    Last edited by kb244; 11-20-2006 at 02:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    Ok so I have in mind three different Voigtländer lens that I would like to get one of, so going to list off desirable traits I'd like to see in order of most important to me to least, then the lens themselves with some thoughts I've gathered from them.

I am using a Canon P rangegefinder for those curious which camera I have that takes Leica Thread Mount lens.

Desired Traits
    0) Budget of about 340$ or less ( under 300$ is a plus ).
    1) Something 35mm or wider (preferably 28mm and wider, tho my canon has 35, 50, and 100 frame lines)
    2) Compact size from base of mount to front of lens. I'd like something I'd be able to put into my coat/jacket pocket when attached to the lens. Right now I can moderately do so with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 attached to it. Collapsible lens are a bad idea as most of them that I know of would "nick' the top light baffle plate and I've already had to repaint the tiny nick on the top inside the camera from a Leica Leitz Elmar collapsible scratching up against it when collapsed in a particular way ( if the fin is on top,t hen its the problem if the fin is on the bottom (ie: gap between two of the fins on the top) then its not a problem) However seems most of the wide lens are pretty short in length as it is and would be better than my 50mm collapsible or not.
    3) speed of aperture, while I'm used to having something faster than f/2, faster would be preferable on a wider lens, however its the least important of the traits as the three lens I'm thinking about are no faster than f/3.5

The Canidates as found on cameraquest.org (http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm)
    (in order of desirability thus far)

21mm f/4 Color-Skopar - 329$ new
    Lens seems small, I'm told by some its quite nice. Its not too fast (f/4) however that may not even be a big deal. Comes with it's own viewfinder if I choose to use it. Not sure if that small hood is removable or not. It is rangefinder coupled though I wonder if thats even necessary with the capability of hyperfocal settings.

28mm f/3.5 Color-Skopar - 285$
    A little faster, and a little cheaper. And "appears" to be a little smaller, but the focal length is longer. Also I have not heard anything bout the 28/3.5 so not sure exactly what to think of it, but seems easier for my budget (thats assuming I can get any of my cameras sold/traded on my trade ad to add up to that to that money)

15/4.5 Aspherical Super-Wide Heliar - 345$
    A friend of mine has the 15mm and really likes it, is not rangefinder coupled but according to even him it really doesnt even matter, it can be treated almost literally as a point and shoot lens just stop down the aperture some. But I can't help but think that maybe it would be 'too wide'

Any pros or cons any of you guys can offer on these selections, or even possibly other advised models/etc. The Voigtlanders appear to be a good deal given what quality they are against their 'new' prices.
    Karl, I have all three of these lenses and IMO they are all good value for the money.

The 28mm f/3.5 Color-Skopar is very compact and performs very well, I often use it as my Normal lens.

The 21mm f/4 Color-Skopar is one of my favorites, I love the 21mm perspective and this compact little lens performs very well indeed!

I've found the 15/4.5 Aspherical Super-Wide Heliar to be a good performer and a fun lens to use - but I love super wide lenses.

I'm looking at the CV 12mm with lust in my heart.
    Last edited by Ole; 11-20-2006 at 02:37 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Removed images in quoted text
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have the 21mm and the 15mm. The 21 has seen most use so far, mostly because it's been raining ince I bought the 15...

Th 21mm is a wonderfully sharp little lens. It's a lot wider than 28mm, yet it has none of the typical "distorted wide-angle look". Since I bought it it's been the most used of all my lenses!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From your short assessement, its sounding like the 28mm will be at this point the best choice as whichever lens I choose will likely be work me 90% of the time on the camera (ie: normal lens).

Edit tho the no distortion, yet wide 21mm is intriguing.

Anyone wana buy a MF TLR lol.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You'll have fun with any other this stuff if you buy.

I own the 12mm. It's great on my Leicas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Karl,

All three lenses have excellent optical reputations and are considered great bargains. I own and use the 21 and 15 myself and like both a lot.

I think you'll just have to balance the factors already mentioned for yourself. No reasonable person would say that any of these is in a different class from the others optically.

Lee

BTW, you should read Stephen Gandy's website copyright notice, and probably link to his pages rather than copying his photos here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Karl,

All three lenses have excellent optical reputations and are considered great bargains. I own and use the 21 and 15 myself and like both a lot.

I think you'll just have to balance the factors already mentioned for yourself. No reasonable person would say that any of these is in a different class from the others optically.

Lee

BTW, you should read Stephen Gandy's website copyright notice, and probably link to his pages rather than copying his photos here.
    The link to the page where all the lens can be seen is right above the pictures.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not the best example of a lenses "look", but this one was shot with the 21mm: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...500&ppuser=124
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the 21 and the 15, and I love both. The 15 is really great fun, but doesn't get used anywhere near as much - though I love superwides, its perspective is just not suited for general use. I use the 21 a lot more, but it's still not a general purpose lens - I prefer 35mm or 28mm for general purpose use (I have the 35/2.5 on my Bessa-R as standard). What I do find is nice is to have both the 35 and the 21 with me (with the 21 on a Bessa-L - it really doesn't need that rangefinder coupling).

If I was restricted to just one wide angle lens (which I was for quite a few years in my youth when I didn't have any money), it would be a 28. And the CV 28/3.5 is pretty high up my list of lenses I want (it's only second to the 75/2.5).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin