Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,709   Online: 913

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dxphoto View Post
    Thanks for the info... but what is the difference of 1dB?
    Decibels are on a logarithmic scale with each 3 dB being a doubling of power on the scale, but humans hear about 10 dB as an approximate doubling of perceived loudness. 1 dB change is just enough for a person to hear a noticeable difference.

If you know densitometry, 0.3 optical density being about 1 stop, or doubling the amount of light, and 0.6 being two stops, then just move the decimal for sound and make a 3 dB change equal to a doubling (or halving) of sound output.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Bessas are a good bit louder than a Leica, but they are good for the money. I have a straight R and have often had yearings for one of the later, undoubtedly better, versions but they all miss one thing (as does my Leica MP): the R has a self timer. It might not sound much, but we have a trick that lets us take vertical, elevated pictures into archaeological trenches and which can also be used to photograph views from about 7m off the ground. We have a normal 5m surveyor's levelling staff with a tripod head mounted on the top which you hold up above your head with the camera aboard, fired by the timer. It is surprising how heavy the average camera gets at the end of a 5m lever, but the R is so light that it works a treat. I know you can get accessory timers that screw into the shutter button, but an integrated timer is a lot less easy to loose.

David.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin