Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,525   Online: 776

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Shriver View Post
    With glasses, you should expect to have "problems" with the widest frameline on any of the M6 frameline sets. Same thing with the 40mm framelines on the Bessa R3 family.
    I am seriously considering an R3 or R4, so if I understand you. I should expect some "problems" with lenes wider than 40?
    I think I can compensate for those short comings with my experience with working with a Holga.
    Thanks!!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    35mm
    Thgere are no frame lines on the R3 for for lenses wider than 40. You'll have to use an auxiliary viewfinder to use anything wider than 40 on this camera. The 40 mm frame lines themselves are a problem. I can't see them on this camera when I put my eye right up to the viewfinder. Many have reported the same problem.

The M4 is a different beast altogether. No one can tell you about their experience with the viewfinder on this camera because it doesn't exist yet. Due out in about 5 months. It's designed for use with wide angle lenses - low magnification. Short effective base length, so it won't be useful for focusing fast 50s & the like.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Biogon Bill View Post
    ...tell you about their experience with the viewfinder on this camera because it doesn't exist yet..
    Umm.... Yes it does. I handled one at photokina several months ago. Mr. Kobayashi reckoned it would probably be all right for a 50/1.5 but it wasn't designed or recommended for that.

It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect. From memory the frames are 21-28-35-50 and I think the vf magnification is 0,4-something, for an effective base length of around 20mm, though I may be misremembering. My report on the show should be in the next Shutterbug.

Cheers,

R. (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    From memory the frames are 21-28-35-50 and I think the vf magnification is 0,4-something, for an effective base length of around 20mm, though I may be misremembering.
    Cheers,

From my post (about 8 back), info from Stephen Gandy @ cameraquest.com:

If you like to shoot almost all wides, the recently announced C/V Bessa R4A/M bodies coming in the spring with 21/25/28/35/50mm framelines built in might work well for you, but at about 1/2 lifesize or 0.52 magnification.

Lee

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    This whole issue is so confusing to me!
    I guess with RF's you can't have it both ways with one body.
    Right?
    How many bodies does your "average RF shooter" have?
    As I have stated, I'd like to have lenes from 25 to 75 or 90.
    Brian
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 12-04-2006 at 11:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    From my post (about 8 back), info from Stephen Gandy @ cameraquest.com:

If you like to shoot almost all wides, the recently announced C/V Bessa R4A/M bodies coming in the spring with 21/25/28/35/50mm framelines built in might work well for you, but at about 1/2 lifesize or 0.52 magnification.

Lee
    Dear Lee,

Thanks, and sorry for not reading more carefully. Was distracted by testing a prototype emulsion which may be announced as a production item next year.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dear Lee,

Thanks, and sorry for not reading more carefully. Was distracted by testing a prototype emulsion which may be announced as a production item next year.

Cheers,

R.
    Roger,

Just a bump. No one can keep up with reading everything on APUG anymore. The main point is that the R4A/M is a "known quantity".

You're going to file a full report on the emulsion here first, right?

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian View Post
    This whole issue is so confusing to me!
    I guess with RF's you can't have it both ways with one body.
    Right?
    How many bodies does your "average RF shooter" have?
    It varies very much depending on your tastes, some people are very productive with one body and one lens. Cartier-Bresson comes to mind, much of his stuff was shot with the same field of view. With RFs one is usually thinking of doing one particular thing (e.g. wide) and doing it extremely well... an RF is a much more specialized tool than an SLR. You will learn to love that aspect, you almost certainly won't feel limited by lens selection.

Back on the VF issue, one thing you may or may not know already is that the VFs typically display more than the captured area. This is a wondeful feature that really helps with composition. Of course you get framelines to show you what will ultimately go on film, but being able to see around those edges really helps. When I go back to an SLR now I feel like I have to wave the camera around to verify that I have the optimal composition, that is annoying to me.

Also, for some people, being able to keep both eyes open while focusing is a big bonus; RFs already give you more of a 3D impression of the scene, but with both eyes open it feels very natural and of course there's no shutter blackout so... to make a long story short you're really going to enjoy this.

Shooter
    35mm
    Umm.... Yes it does. I handled one at photokina several months ago. Mr. Kobayashi reckoned it would probably be all right for a 50/1.5 but it wasn't designed or recommended for that.

It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect. From memory the frames are 21-28-35-50 and I think the vf magnification is 0,4-something, for an effective base length of around 20mm, though I may be misremembering. My report on the show should be in the next Shutterbug.

Cheers,

Prototype or pre-production model.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Roger,

Just a bump. No one can keep up with reading everything on APUG anymore. The main point is that the R4A/M is a "known quantity".

You're going to file a full report on the emulsion here first, right?

Lee
    How can it be a "known" commodity when no one has had the opportunity to use one yet? We know some stats about it & we know its siblings, but we don't really know this camera yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin