Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,896   Posts: 1,584,311   Online: 900

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Looking for first rangefinder

Hello everyone,

I may be going on a trip this coming summer and I'd like to get a portable rangefinder to use while I'm overseas. My budget is approximately $500 total.

I've see the Bessa Rs for a good price and Leica CLs too, but I was wondering if anyone else had any recommendations on a nice rangefinder with quality lens for an overseas trip.

Thank you in advance,

Cameran

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you shop carefully you can get a Contax G1 with the 45 F2 lens for about that kind of money...
    it's a beautiful camera, takes fantastic images, and handles so easily. The Autofocus is a little glitchy, but still fairly fast and accurate. The AF mechanism makes it not as quiet as other rangefinders, but if you don't need silence, it's great. I never had a problem with it causing subjects to freak out when I hoisted it to my eye, unlike an SLR.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for your reply. I had looked at the Contax before. I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a rangefinder that is manual and only has a meter built in to it. From what I understand the Contax requires a battery, and that's what I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks!

Cameran

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to look for Cannon P or 7, takes screw mount Lieca lens, but no meter, the 7s has an external meter but I think will go for more than $500.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are so many options even within the Bessa line-up. Cameraquest sells an R with lens kit (25mm or 35mm) within your price range. But if you got just the body you could do some "bottom feeding" and get good used FSU lenses and have more money left for film, etc. The classified ads here and on RFF often have very good lenses for sale (not to mention bodies/kits), which is normally better than taking a chance on the auction site.

So I'd say it depends on a couple of things. Do you want new with warranty? and ... what focal lengths and lens speeds do you want/need?
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What about a Zorki?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Portable? Leica IIIa, or any bottom-load Canon rangefinder, and an Elmar 50/3.5. The Elmar is the ultimate in portable. For an uncoated Elmar with cleaning marks, and some smart shopping, you should be able to stay under $500.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Frankly, did you do a "search" of the RF Forum before posting?

This query comes up about once or twice a month such that there is now a vast "library" of advice and competing recommendations and even nasty debates regarding one's initial purchase of a RF camera!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of my favourite combos at the $500 level is a used Bessa R2 with used Canon 50mm f1.8 lens. An altenate 50mm lens is the CV50 f2.5. If you are more of a 35mm lens shooter, the CV35 f2.5 is great. The used body is around $300, and the lenses are found used around $200.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    what frank said. can't go wrong with the R2 and a CV 50 or 35. prices i've seen lately seem closer to USD600 for the combo, but that's prob'ly just me.
    mike
    a 35mm rangefinder and a few good lenses

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin