Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,514   Online: 1014

Shooter
    Medium Format

KIEV4 - problem acurately selecting speed

Hello everybody!

Id like to use this opportunity and greet everyone since this is my first post here. My name is Alex and I am a photo amateur from Croatia. One of the cameras I have recently started using is my grandpas KIEV 4 (the one with the meter; funny as it may be the meter is still working!)

Now, im mostly into low light kind of expressive photography (think Michael Ackerman or James Fee) so motionm blur, grain , excessive contrast is mostly not an issue. However, from time to time Id like to be able to make a decent "normal" photography with it and here comes the problem - shutter speed selection.

I use 50mm f2 and 35mm f2.8 lenses, and also have universal tourette finder. I normally wind the neyt frame and pull the rewind knob up. Now, when I need to "lower" it back into place to the correct speed, it kind of goes a bit above or below the number. So Im never sure what speed is selected. I tried winding it all the way to B, then lowering into each place by each number but also not really acurate and it seems as if one or two clicks are missing (more numbers than places to "lower" the knob). Any ideas what can be done about it?

Everything else seems to function properly, lens mount, shutter, I get decent pictures in daytime but night indoors is not good.

Sorry for the long post, and cheers all!
    Alex

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do you always wind before changing speeds?
    Ciao iz Canada!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Alex,

Here is a link to some info on your camera.

http://www.keithberry.telinco.co.uk/Kiev-4.htm

and here is a link to an online manual for it.

http://www.keithberry.telinco.co.uk/kiev4man.htm

Hope that helps somewhat!

- Randy

P.S. Welcome to APUG!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Alex,

One of the golden rules with those cameras, is when decreasing the shutter speed from 1/125th to 1/60th for example, it should be done in counter clockwise direction.
    Doing so, you`re building tension on the spring and therefore increasing the reliability of your camera shutter.
    If possible, take the camera to a repairman and ask an adjustment of the shutter.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Medium Format

thanx

thank you guys! Have checked that site, and also, i have tried fiddling a bit with the camera.

Its like this - the dial turns from B on the top part to 1250 in the lower end. It will not go past either marks. So If I wind it, set 1250, fire, then wind again and wish to change to 250 I have tried lifting, going all the way to B and then back to 250. Seems a bit better than directly to lower speed.

Will test one roll tomorrow
    ;-)
    "Sve moze da propadne, da nestane, samo je smrt siguran poso!"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin