Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,158   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Any preference for Leica 50mm/2 current version over Zeiss Planar 50mm/2 ZM ?

I'm thorning between Zeiss Planar ZM 50mm/2 and Leica Summicron 50mm/2 (current version - with telescopic hood) to serve as my main working lens on soon-to-be acquired RF (presumably Bessa R3A).
    According to Reid's review (where also Nokton 50mm/1.5 Asph was reviewed), all three perform nearly identical (sharpness-wise) having slight edge to Planar and Summicron in contrast.
    The Summicron is offered for 125$ more (it is used in LN condition fro reputable seller) then Planar + vented hood.
    Do you think Summicron nevertheless worth the premium of 125$ over brand new Planar ? What is your opinion ?

Thanks, Alex

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Summicron, but I think I'd be happy with either lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This is simple.

If the Summicron was also new - what would be the price difference?

Would you pay that?

If not, taking a small chance, since you say the Summi is LN, are you willing to pay $125 for the "brand" knowing that only YOU know it was bought "used" (that is - so long as you don't tell anyone).

Optically, I doubt you'll ever notice a difference - but unless you buy both - how will you ever know?

Why do RF'ers so agonize over gear anyway?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    > If the Summicron was also new - what would be the price difference?
    > Would you pay that?

Xmm, I would expect the price difference would approach something like 50% (say, 400-600$) which definitely would put Summicron out of question.

Frankly, new or used but indeed in LN condition doesn't make much difference (aside of some warranty on brand new which isn't the case for used of course), so it's probably indeed down to brand preference rather then quality choice though I'll be glad to be pointed to even subjective quality/reliability differences if such exist between two of these.
    The additional argument aside of "brand pride" would probably be resale value. Apparently Leica original glass holds its value undoubtedly, so chances if one will be willing to sell it after usage being in the same condition as was bought, no money loss will be suffered.
    Having said that, it seems however that the Zeiss also holds its value cery well....

> Why do RF'ers so agonize over gear anyway?

Good question, but probably can be extended to a general photo geeks community, not only RF'ers...;-)

Since I assume 50mm lens will serve as my main tool and will probably make 60-80% of my RF photography, I strive to get the best one I can afford. This Summicron is priced probably at the very top of my budget for fine normal lens thuogh still can be fitted in it, but Planar being cheaper alternative apparently provides no less quality...go figure...

Shooter
    35mm
    You can find some additional thoughts & a direct comparison here: www.imx.nl

Look at the list on the right side bar for the 3-part series reviewing the ZM lens series. It includes direct comparisons with Leica lenses in parts 2 and 3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Alex,

Optically they may be close in performance. I have never handled or seen the Zeiss optics. However, I have handled many many Leica lenses. I use the R series but mechanically they operate much like the M series lenses. Leica uses the self lubricating brass on aluminum for their focusing helixes. This allows Leica to use lighter oils rather than the heavier greases used by other makers. Though the brass makes their lenses heavier, I would bet you dollars to donuts that you will feel the difference in the focusing of the 2 lenses. No other manual focusing lenses have the buttery feel that Leica lenses have. They are very smooth with no backlash in their focusing.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    Hi Alex,

Optically they may be close in performance. I have never handled or seen the Zeiss optics. However, I have handled many many Leica lenses. I use the R series but mechanically they operate much like the M series lenses. Leica uses the self lubricating brass on aluminum for their focusing helixes. This allows Leica to use lighter oils rather than the heavier greases used by other makers. Though the brass makes their lenses heavier, I would bet you dollars to donuts that you will feel the difference in the focusing of the 2 lenses. No other manual focusing lenses have the buttery feel that Leica lenses have. They are very smooth with no backlash in their focusing.

Rich
    I have both and the Zeiss is every bit as smooth as the leica.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Alexz;400260]>
    The additional argument aside of "brand pride" would probably be resale value. Apparently Leica original glass holds its value undoubtedly, so chances if one will be willing to sell it after usage being in the same condition as was bought, no money loss will be suffered.
    Having said that, it seems however that the Zeiss also holds its value cery well....

Resale on the Leica lenses is proven. When(and if) the Zeiss lenses have been on the market as long, that will be an accurate statement.
    Gotta remember Zeiss has been in & out of the market before & doesn't have a history of great staying power. Right now they're offering alternative to mfrs. lenses and the quality is high, but they're not really more than a third party supplier.
    Knowin' that statements gonna go over like a fart in church.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, not willing to start over another religios Leica vs others wars, just to mention ZM lenses are mainly to go with Zeis own new line (new Ikon), though being M-mount, certainly an alternative was meant for Leica glass as well as for any M-mount RFs (such as Bessa). Right, time will tell how well they will manage in the future and how firm will keep their value, at least current reviews get ZM Planar in the same league as current Summicron optically and mechanically (aside of probably very subjective hair-split narow differences that may probably be more worth of academic discussion...).
    Not to impact Summicron merits on its own, but I was just curious whether there can be any practical reason to pay a premium over ZM Planar new price for used mint Summicron (aside of proven resale value of the latter)...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post
    I have both and the Zeiss is every bit as smooth as the leica.....
    Tom, I also have both and I agree.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin