Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,841   Online: 1019

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canonet 17

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canonet 17

Woohoo, Just won this beaut on eBay. Really looking forward to using it. Not everywhere I want to take my Bessa and summicrons. To be honest, I don't take them out anywhere near enough. Oh well. Hopefully it gets here before I head to Dublin next week.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...1612&rd=1&rd=1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are gonna love that camera...mine gives be a little thrill every time I pick it up. There's really something special about them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will enjoy the camera. It's been my Boy Scout, canoeing, camping camera.

You'll probably need to address the light seals. Also, my usual approach for the 625 battery is a 675 hearing aid battery with a rubber O-ring. This won't work with the Canon because it uses contacts on the top and side. There is a good discussion of batteries for the Canon here (including a source in the UK): http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=20546

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reckon I'll still have to address the seals even though it's stated as being in good condition? The camera looks in great cosmetic condition from the photos. I suppose they disintegrate over time though eh, regardless of how it's been treated. There's some DIY light seal kits for sale on eBay. Should be cheaper than getting it done professionally right. The batteries might not be so much of a problem seeing as I live in the uk. I've seen those on eBay for sale too anyway and I bet they last forever. Would've been great to have this at the rock festivals this summer just gone. It's going to be my gigging and general drunkeness camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also look for a 49 to 48 mm step down filter ring. The cannon uses 48mm, 49mm filters are more common.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    Also look for a 49 to 48 mm step down filter ring. The cannon uses 48mm, 49mm filters are more common.
    I think you will want a 48 to 49 step up adapter, you need to go from the 48mm lens thread to the 49mm filter.

Ken

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There's something about them -- maybe it's knowing that it's a great camera with a great lens that can be replaced for $30 if it gets dropped/stolen/run over by a bus/etc. That tiny little "tick" of the leaf shutter makes it great for street shooting.

Are there things I'd want different? Of course. Metering to ASA3200, metered manual, a standard filter size. But you gets what you pays for.

It's not an M3 so don't expect it to be. But for $30 or whatever you paid, it's a fantastic little camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgCl4ever View Post
    I think you will want a 48 to 49 step up adapter, you need to go from the 48mm lens thread to the 49mm filter.

Ken
    Your right step up not step down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Right, so I got it yesterday. The light seals are a little chewed but nothing I think would really impact on performance. I guess I can always test a film and see what happens though. Apart from that it's in lovely condition. there's no battery in it and it won't fire in aperture priority mode without a battery. However, it will fire using any other shutter speed and they seem to sound acurate. (i.e increasing/decreasing in length) Can you use this camera manually without batteries disregarding the 'A' mode?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an original Canonet, I've looked at getting a Canonet 17 as well, but never really saw the need. Plus the original doesn't require a battery, even if it means the light meter will eventually die - Always been fond of the simple things.
    They're built like bricks and will take a beating accordingly, and if you need to take the lens apart it isn't too hard. Mine survived my haphazard stuck-shutter repairs and still takes great photos Definitely a great series to get into Rangefinders with.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin