Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,833   Online: 965

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Olympus XA2 - green light

I just my new to me XA2. When I turn it on, ie. open the front cover, sometimes a little green light comes on. It's located on the right side of the view finder. What the heck is this for? I have downloaded the instruction manual for the camera but there is no reference to this led that I can find.

HELP?

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Perhaps it a Green Light to signal it's ready to go. Grin.

I had an XA years ago, but for the life of me I can't remember if it displayed a green light or not.

Other cameras like the XA showed a green light when the flash was up to power for an exposure. For the XA2 I'd say test fire it with the flash on and off to see if the green light comes on.

Or perhaps it is a warning to get ready for the famous Green Flash at sunset. Double grin.

Good luck.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think my XA had a green light, either. There was the red light on the front of the camera for battery check and self-timer. Is your light inside or outside the viewfinder?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by robert e View Post
    I don't think my XA had a green light, either. There was the red light on the front of the camera for battery check and self-timer. Is your light inside or outside the viewfinder?
    Inside right side.
    thx
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sure someone will have a definitive answer, shortly. Meanwhile, I also want to take a guess. I have the XA, but I reviewed the manual online for the XA2 and it's written something awful. My thoughts. . . position the camera so the light turns to green and then cover the lens with your hand. If the light goes out, then it's my guess it's a "good exposure indicator", probably tied to the ASA/ISO setting and internal metering.

If it's not that, then I give up. ;-)
    Last edited by DannL; 12-22-2006 at 02:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    I'm sure someone will have a definitive answer, shortly. Meanwhile, I also want to take a guess. I have the XA, but I reviewed the manual online for the XA2 and it's written something awful. My thoughts. . . position the camera so the light turns to green and then cover the lens with your hand. If the light goes out, the it's my guess it's a "good exposure indicator", probably tied to the ASA/ISO setting and internal metering.

If it's not that, then I give up. ;-)
    I tried that, good guess, but it didn't do anything. The mystery continues LOL.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's amazingly counterintuitive. Green means "stop". It's an indication that the shutter speed is too low, and that you need flash. Why they didn't use a red LED is beyond me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is a link to a manual for the XA2:

http://www.diaxa.com/xa/XA2man.htm

The hard to read information is in part 3.

It is a low light/slow shutter speed indicator (as was posted above).

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks guys and gals. I can't wait to soup the first roll from this baby. My buddy Ian's is so sharp. But then again his is the original XA so of course my is not worthy LOL.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Good call on the XA page: http://www.diaxa.com/xa/

Matt Denton's is worth reading, too, esp comparing lens to XA, and shooting tips.: http://www.mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/olympus_xa2.html

Neither page mentions the green light.

Elsewhere, I've read the XA2 has better metering than the XA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin