Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,756   Online: 1033

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had a Canon P, which was really similar to a 7. I loved it, but they ARE heavy. The Leica wouldn't be much lighter due to it being made of brass.

The main draw of the Canon 7 is the ability to mount the monstrosity that is the 50mm f/.95 lens that Canon made for the thing without having to resort to machining the mount. I highly recommend one if you plan to use that lens...otherwise I'd say that a Leica or a Bessa with an M-mount would do you better at this point. Considering that either a new Bessa or a Leica can mount M and screwmount lenses, you have more lens choice options that way. It's the way I've chosen to go eventually.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    No one mentioned the ranefinder. It's been a long time since I had a 7s in my hands but I clearly recall that the rangefinder never came close to that on my M3.
    Thanks folks. So the Leica rangefinder is better than the Canon?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They're different. They both have their ups and downs. Both are built really well. *shrug* I'd say use both and just get what feels better to you.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't give up on it too easily. Rangefinder cameras do take a bit of getting used to, but its worth it. I still use SLRs most of the time, but rangefinders beat everything for the things they are good at.

David.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft View Post
    Don't give up on it too easily. Rangefinder cameras do take a bit of getting used to, but its worth it. I still use SLRs most of the time, but rangefinders beat everything for the things they are good at.

David.
    And above all do remember that a 40-year-old rangefinder camera may well have tarnished rangefinder prisms which can make focusing difficult to impossible. It is a really good idea to at least try a new rangefinder camera before deciding whether you "get " the idea or not.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes, my M4 has a better rangefinder than my Canon 7. That metal shutter in the 7 might not burn through as easily as the cloth Leica shutter, but it crinkles easily when poked by tiny fingers. My M4 hasn't let me down in 36 years, while the Canon has a few problems. The Leica, as Savage said about their pistols, ". . . fits in your hand like the hand of a friend."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are looking for a RF camera that is lighter, consider the Bessa R. It has a screw mount, and a clear and large viewfinder.
    Art should unsettle the comfortable, and comfort the unsettled.

My photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    If you are looking for a RF camera that is lighter, consider the Bessa R. It has a screw mount, and a clear and large viewfinder.
    I'm not really looking folks. My perspective is that of one with no experience or history in 35mm rangefinders who was surprised that they are not as freeing as all the legendary hype had led my uninitiated mind to believe. That's why I asked about the Leica. According to what I've read here I wouldn't have had a different reaction with a $5500 Leica than I've had with a $550 Canon. That was my question and you have answered it. My pre-conceived romantic notions were in error. Fair enough. I still like the idea but I'll have to get used to it. I had this romantic idea I'd be floating a foot above the ground with this little rangefinder making photographs I never could dream of with my usual ilk. Call me silly.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    I had this romantic idea I'd be floating a foot above the ground with this little rangefinder making photographs I never could dream of with my usual ilk. Call me silly.
    hey Jim,

I have a $55 Canonnet. I never thought I'd out-cheapskate Jim Galli, but there it is...

I will say that as a non-rangefinder addict, it has offered me opportunities I couldn't otherwise get. My absolute all-time favorite photographs were taken with this toy. The reason--stealth.

I had this camera with me when my first son was born (OK, I had it with the second as well). I had fast film and no flash. I was able to take images from 5 feet away where my wife later said, "I didn't know you had a camera then!"

No flash, quiet shutter. Looks dorky, so it doesn't register as a camera in a lot of people's minds.

Now, as a point of heresy--the other camera that proved it's value was the digital point-and-shoot. With the first kid, he was in the NICU and my wife was stuck in bed. I was able to take pictures of him and show them to my wife on a laptop. For the second kid, they had free wireless, so I was able to upload images to the family instantly. I think I developed a roll of film from my folder that had images from that visit...oh, a month ago.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    My pre-conceived romantic notions were in error.
    You're right. It's like WT paper described as having 'chocolatey' blacks when in reality it's just a little warmer than normal paper.

Having said that, I've been hooked on Leicas since maybe 1970, and have owned most of the screw models as well was a lot of Ms and various other RF cameras, including two Canons. The Canons were the nicest of the old Leica-screw-compatibles, but Leica Ms are nicer (I think I'd rather have a late Canon than a Leica screw-mount), and quite honestly, I'd prefer a current Bessa to the Canons for the coated viewfinders and TTL meters (and ability to take M-mount lenses as well as screw).

The Canon lenses were very good for their day, though few at the time rated them as highly as contemporary Leica glass, and both Leica and Voigtlander have come a long way in the 40 years since Canon RFs were discontinued.

This is not said to put you off your purchase: they're excellent cameras and great fun to use. But I'd predict that if you do 'get it' you'll want a Leica M sooner or later.

Cheers,

R.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin