Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,927   Posts: 1,585,171   Online: 823

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Canon 7 vss Leica M

I'm a large format guy and really clueless about Rangefinders so bear with me.

So I horse traded for a clean Canon 7 and 2 nice lenses...but...it seems really heavy to me. I guess with all the fuss and the $$ folks are willing to pay for these I expected a camera that was light as a feather and REALLY easy to use.

Does the Leica feel and weigh about the same as the Canon? I realize that part of my problem is lack of history and ease of use would come in time I suppose. Just wondering if the mythical Leica is really any lighter and easier to use than the Canon.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A Leica is heavy too. Don't know if it is more or less than a Canon 7.

The weight of a Leica always surprises people. It's all metal. Very very solid.

I suggest you find out for yourself by walking into a store that sells Leica M cameras to ask to hold one.

If you want a lightweight camera, go for a modern plastic one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never having handled the Canon 7, I can't compare its weight with the Leica M but Leicas have never felt heavy to me. One of the things that I like about Leica rangefinders has less to do with their weight than it does with their size. They're small. What's even better is the lenses are tiny in comparison to SLR lenses. The lenses usually weigh less than comparable SLR lenses as well. A couple of Leica bodies with lenses attached, a couple of other lenses, meter, filters, lots of film and lots of "stuff" fits nicely in a small shoulder bag with room to spare. It's pretty light too which is good for my arthritic neck and back.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Does the Leica feel and weigh about the same as the Canon? Yes, roughly.

Having owned a couple of Canon 7s and about eight or ten Ms (I currently have 5), I have no doubt which I prefer. I'd suggest that either you 'get it' or you don't when it comes to RF cameras. Put a few rolls through it, and if you still don't like it, get rid of it.

And I'll second everything Lee says too, except about not having owned Canons.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good answers and appreciated. I probably won't get it. Neither good or bad I suppose. Just who I am. I bought my wife a Yashika T4 and it's laying around somewhere, but it definitely lacks snob appeal. I'll have to force myself to get to the 5 roll level I think.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    Good answers and appreciated. I probably won't get it. Neither good or bad I suppose. Just who I am. I bought my wife a Yashika T4 and it's laying around somewhere, but it definitely lacks snob appeal. I'll have to force myself to get to the 5 roll level I think.
    Um, Jim, you mean it lacks clueless showoff appeal. A real snob values the final product more than, um, vulgar display of wealth. If the T4 shoots better, use it and look down on the people who take worse pictures with flashier cameras.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Um, Jim, you mean it lacks clueless showoff appeal. A real snob values the final product more than, um, vulgar display of wealth. If the T4 shoots better, use it and look down on the people who take worse pictures with flashier cameras.

Or, just don't take pictures at all, but cultivate an air of lordly superiority.

(Sorry, I just realized that could be taken as a personal insult, but it wasn't meant to be -- it was more mocking myself, though I do take the occasional picture as seen in the galleries at www.rogerandfrances.com).

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Dan, we're all snobs or we wouldn't be at APUG. If all I was interested in was using the camera that shoots better......I'd sell all the 35's except the D100.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I reach into my camera closet, grab my 7s and my M2, and head to the kitchen to use our digital scale. Tale of the tape: 7s is 640 grams, M2 is 575 grams, both without body cap but 7s with battery. So a difference of 65 grams, which is equal to about half the weight of a later generation screw mount Canon 35mm lens. Not significant. I'd go for whichever fits you better. My M has better fit and finish, though the Canon is very good -- and I do like the fact that the metal shutter curtains in the 7s cannot be burned through by sunlight through the lens. As with all aspects of photography, results have more to do with the photographer than the camera used.

Shooter
    Large Format
    No one mentioned the ranefinder. It's been a long time since I had a 7s in my hands but I clearly recall that the rangefinder never came close to that on my M3.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin