Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,445   Posts: 1,643,398   Online: 737

Shooter
    35mm

Leica 90mm f2.8 Elmarit M?

I had the opportunity to buy a new 90mm f2.8 Elmarit M the other day from a local camera store that was going out of business for a song & a dance. I was wondering how it compares to the 90mm f2 APO M?

I did buy it, but I still haven't had any time to go out and test it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, obviously it's 1 stop slower... The 90mm Elmarit M is a very nice lens, which I've used a lot. I have no direct experience with the F/2 Apo, but friends of mine have them and they are also very nice. I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the 2 lenses under most circumstances, with my vote, if I had to choose going to the Elmarit. I only use black and white and the Apo is a bit too contrasty and hard edged for my taste. I think you should use your new lens without worry, I'm sure you'll be very happy.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I own a 90 elmarit M but and am very pleased with performance. I do not own any other 90s but the lens you own is regarded as one of the best Leicas in this FL, so I do not think you will find it lacking in the performance department. My only gripe is that it is pretty heavy when compared to my admitedly shorter focal length lenses. mine is being used primarily for landscapes and city shots and so I could see myself appreciating a super light 90 f4 Macro elmar, which folded is about and inch and a half shorter and 200g lighter. For those who dont want the considerable extra weight and bulk of the apo 90 f2, but find f4 too slow, the elamarit M is a great option. I did not even consider the 90 f2 for these reasons. If I want to carry big heavy lenses about I'll carrry my SLR with Canon Ls. I feel the Elmarit M is about the limit in size and weight for an M.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin