Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,374   Online: 1093

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Source of Leica III parts in UK?

I've just picked up a 1936 IIIa due to a sudden attack of G.A.S - it's in pretty good nick considering it's 71 years old, just the usual brassing and the odd ding and so on. The most noticeable defect is that the collars from the two circular rangefinder windows are missing - the lh one has a threaded collar with ring wrench slots, and the rh has a smooth collar with similar slots.

Does anyone know of a (preferably) UK source of replacements? Fleabay hasn't turned up anything, so I'm scratching my head about this...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd call some repairmen (Newton Ellis & Co., Ed Troska, etc.) and ask if they have any cannibalised Leicas. You might consider joining the Royal Photographic Society Historical Group or other collector's group or visiting camera fairs. I think it is pretty certain that you will not see these parts explicitly advertised, either on e-bay (which you apparently disparage - why?) or elsewhere.

Regards,

David

If you wish to check your shutter on a III or IIIa, set the speed to 1/8 sec.
    If it fires on 1/20 it needs a service
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Zorki 1 or 2 of Fed 1 parts might fit, does any one know for sure?

The release surround will swap, on Feds 1s or Zorki 1a.

Noel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, all. I tried swapping parts from a Fed1, but unfortunately they're all different sizes, so the collars won't fit and the rangefinder doesn't seem to like a swap of the glass.

Mark: sorry, I'm not sure I follow this - could you elaborate?

David - not sure I was disparaging ebay, although I've never had much luck with Leica kit there. It seems that the ratio of lemons to none-lemons is higher the more desirable the gear? And when the prices hit three figures I start to get twitchy - there's always more comfort factor in dealing with people who get recommended here...

But thanks for the suggestions - I'll give Newton Ellis a call, they look quite promising.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin