Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,660   Online: 1150

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Using lenses other than 50mm on a IIIf

I've recently had my little Leica IIIf and the 50 Summitar overhauled, and have been using it a bit as my briefcase camera. The 50 feels a little narrow for a normal to me, now.

What other lenses do people like using with a IIIf, and given that there are no framelines in the viewfinder, what viewfinders are you using and how accurate are they? Is it possible to use a 85 or 90 with this camera successfully?

Thanks
    Neal

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello:

CV lenses with their accessory finders are very commonly used. See Cameraquest.

The 90mm Elmar was part of the Standard kit of lenses for the IIIf.

yours
    Frank

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The classic choice would be a Leitz VIOOH:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&sku=800496460
    This sits right over the lens axis so there is no left/right parallax and up/down parallax is corrected if you remember to adjust the wedge provided for the purpose. Voigtländer finders will of course work, as will the Russian turret finder, although these are getting hard to find in good condition. I don't recall the rangefinder base of the IIIF offhand, I always found I could focus a 90 or 135 mm f4 well enough. Avoid the Leitz VIDOM finder, the image is reversed and it will give you a headache!

Regards,

David

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin