Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,701   Online: 768

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    If you need to put it in storage for a long time I would store it fired, unloaded, in a good case with Silica-Gel to protect from water. If at all possoble fire it at least a couple times a month to keep it lubed. I store my MP fired, in a small padded case, in the kitchen, loaded with Tri-X, ready to go any time. I want to see how much use I can give it before I die. If I shoot two rolls a month until my mid 80's that is about 30,000 exposures. That is nowhere close to wearing out o Leica.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why would you want to store it?

Shooter
    35mm
    Uncocked, battery removed, wrapped in silk and that wrapped in a ziplock baggy. Finally, put it in a box and seal it with packaging tape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Boyd View Post
    Uncocked, battery removed, wrapped in silk and that wrapped in a ziplock baggy. Finally, put it in a box and seal it with packaging tape.
    Then with an address label that reads:

sepiareverb

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Definitely add some silica gel. When I moved my cameras from overseas, I told the moving company that I wanted to pack them myself. The moving company gave me hundreds of silica gel packs.

I put one silica gel pack in the back, another in the shutter box with the lens removed. Then two more inside a ZIP-lock bag. That went into another ZIP-lock bag and then taped shut with packing tape.

They then went onto a container ship, and I saw them about eight weeks later. But I didn't unpack them right away because I took a job in another city. Some didn't get unpacked until last year (three years after I packed them). I'm glad I was careful about getting them ready for a lengthy -- although unexpected -- storage.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Short answer - Tupperware-type container with a silica gel sachet (maybe two). MUCH easier to take the camera out when needed and then re-seal it. But - I just bought a Leica R3 which had spent quite a few years in a humidity-controlled cabinet, it was in great shape but the plastic support pad on the neckstrap was totally embrittled, which I think shows that finding ideal storage conditions for EVERY kind of material in a camera is not easy - low humidity can also cause grease to dry out.

Regards,

David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin