Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,763   Online: 1201

Shooter
    Multi Format

Another CV tele lens choice question

Hi,

Having Bessa R2A and 35mm lens I am thinking about tele lens. 50mm is somewhere in my mind, but first I will get to something longer. So, as choices are 75mm and 90mm, I would like to know which lens is optically and mechanically "better". Optical performance would be main reason for choice.

If both lenses are "same" regarding quality I will go to 90mm.

Oh, and since here nobody sell/rent CV lenses, I can't rent/borrow them to try for myself, so your answers are my only source of informations. Beside Stephens and Irwins sites...

Irwin tells 75mm is OK, and 90mm is great lens for its price. Stepehen tells: "Again, users reports great, sharp images with the 75/2.5", "The MTF charts of the lens at the Cosina site are outstanding, as well as initial test results from a UK photo magazine. This may turn out to be one of the sharpest 90's ever, in screw mount or M mount"

So, what are yours opinions?

Thanks
    Last edited by haris; 01-26-2007 at 07:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    35mm
    You won't be disappointed with either lens. I would base my decision on which frame lines you are more comfortable using. The 90 frame lines can be challenging for composition because they're so small. For this reason I chose the 75/2.5. It's an excellent lens. But that's just me & if you're comfortable composing within the 90 frame lines, that may be just right for you. The 75 mm focal length is really not a substitute for 90 if you want to do portraits with shallow depth of field. So, what are your needs & how do you intend to use the lens? I use the 75 more as a long normal.

Shooter
    35mm
    35mm and 75mm lenses make an excellent 2 lens lightweight setup. The 75mm is superbly sharp, I'm not too sure how I would get on focussing a 90mm with the Bessa rangefinder - the base is a bit short.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_j View Post
    35mm and 75mm lenses make an excellent 2 lens lightweight setup. The 75mm is superbly sharp, I'm not too sure how I would get on focussing a 90mm with the Bessa rangefinder - the base is a bit short.
    No problems focusing my CV 90mm apo lanthar with my Bessa T - my images are very sharp.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I own both of these lenses and I find the 75 to be my favorite. I prefer the wider fov for most situations. However, when I need a 90 the CV fills the bill very well. I have had excellent results with both lenses and find them to be be top performers.

Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I gotta go with the 75mm for the speed.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin