Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,705   Posts: 1,548,482   Online: 852

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    Hi guys,
    We've just finished looking at the work of Cartier-Bresson.
    Do you know of any popular/famous rangefinder shooters who traveled the world and used one lens.
    -Rob
    Who really knows ? But at least one thing is proven: HCB did not belong to the one-lens shooters.

Regards,
    bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Shooter
    35mm
    Lots of pros in the forties and fifties worked with very limited kits; the rollei guys simply had a rollei; the 4x5 guys had a 135 or 127 usually and could borrow a 90 from someone......

Don't forget that bag also had to carry flashbulbs.....

These days its a good finger exercise because it lets you focus very simply (I mean focus mentally, not focus the lens....)

WeeGee, Andre deDiens (spelling?) ey al

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's silly to get too religious about this.

HCB used Contax, he used a 90mm.... BIG DEAL. He used what was comfortable and would get The Shot.

Likewise Depardon, who was well-known for his work with the 50 but he also used TLRs and 8x10 cameras as well

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    It's silly to get too religious about this.....
    I agree. But I found that with RF'ers it's all about "religion" espescially when it comes to Leica v. Contax and, thus Leitz v. Zeiss.

With them we're talking "holy war" whereas with Nikon v. Canon - you know that at the end of the day they'd all go drink together at the Kareoke Bar!

we picked up a couple of real leicaphreaks after you left, copake. it's almost too much to bear! =(

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raizans View Post
    we picked up a couple of real leicaphreaks after you left, copake. it's almost too much to bear! =(
    Well, as the boss, so is his company. For those gaga-talkers RFF has always been an attractive place. They have the majority there, at least their noise can make you believe that. A bunch of good photogs have gone therefore, a pity.

bertram

Shooter
    35mm
    I know some Leicaphiles. They love everything Leica but they are not among the best photogs I know. I don't really care. My main camera, a Bessa R, serves me well as a hobbyist.

Images
    HC-B complained that America is so big that he was forced to use his 35mm a lot. Paul Strand photographed with only a 10" Dagor on his 5x7 Graflex and 8x10 Dorf.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post
    HC-B complained that America is so big that he was forced to use his 35mm a lot. Paul Strand photographed with only a 10" Dagor on his 5x7 Graflex and 8x10 Dorf.
    Wise Old Frontiersman once said "Beware the man with only one rifle; he can probably use it extremely well."

I think the same holds true with photographers and cameras. The wise old icons use their cameras extremely well, no matter how old, what brand, or what film.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    Wise Old Frontiersman once said "Beware the man with only one rifle; he can probably use it extremely well."

I think the same holds true with photographers and cameras. The wise old icons use their cameras extremely well, no matter how old, what brand, or what film.
    The last true one-lens-shooters have been the photogs using the Graflex and Rollei TLRs. Not only the many newspaper PRs, also folks like Arbus, Newton, Doisneau used these fixed lens TLRs even still in the 70s, when the 35mmSLRs had conquered quite a part of the pro market.

Still in the 60s, when all this stuff costed a fortune there were discussions going on if it is necessary and if it makes sense at all for an amateur to have a camera with interchangeable lenses.
    At the latest when the C220/330 came out some noticed how high the price was for having different different focal length available, weight, size , limited speed, and the costs were bitter pills and limited the versatility of the TLR concept just as much as it unchained it.

As for me i do believe in the advantages of having a wide and a short tele too available at least for 135 film, 70% of my pics are made with a 25mm on RF or 28mm on SLR.
    But also if working with more than one FL the old law is valid: Limitation is freeing.

Regards
    bertram

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin