Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,559   Posts: 1,573,291   Online: 953

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Boyd View Post
    I know some Leicaphiles. They love everything Leica but they are not among the best photogs I know. I don't really care. My main camera, a Bessa R, serves me well as a hobbyist.
    Bessa R3M black w Heliar Classic 50mm f2. That's heaven for me. My zoom lens is my legs.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Nice gallery. Who are all those bearded men with funny hats. Amish?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Wilfred Thesiger. He was born in Ethiopia in 1910 and spent his early boyhood there, (his father was the British minister in charge of the Legation in Addis Ababa). Growing up in this environment (where as he recalled, watching the triumphant warriors ride back into the capital with the heads of the defeated enemies impaled on their spears), predisposed him to spend much of his life travelling in the remaining remote places on Earth. His books like "Arabian Sands" and "the Marsh Arabs" are absolute classics. In 1987 a book of his photographs "Visions of a Nomad" was published. In the introduction he explained how he didn't start taking photos seriously until he bought a Leica 11 in 1934 and he used this camera until 1959. Though he later bought a 35 and 90 Elmarit lenses, for the most part he mainly used just the standard lens. The camera was allways kept in a goatskin bag, he only ever shot black and white and used Ilford film. Looking at his photos again, many taken decades ago (and the films often left undeveloped for months and a year or more as he explained), just makes one realise that all those debates that rage on forums like this about which lens or camera is better than that and so on are really only academic. Of course Thesiger would be the last person to call himself a photographer but for me, with one camera and one lens, as a chronicler of a way of life which was about to disappear for ever, his photos are absolutely priceless.

Shooter
    35mm
    Homer Sykes used only an M-series Leica, 50mm and Tri-X for his well-known book 'On The Road Again'. He has also produced a book on foxhunting in the UK using only a Rolleiflex.

Octogenarian Jane Bown uses only an OM-1 and 85mm (and Tri-X again) for her portraits, though rumour has it she carries a 50mm in her bag. Before using SLRs she had only a Rolleiflex, and certainly knew how to use it. The last time I read about Don McCullin's gear he used only 28mm and 135mm on 35mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mark Alor Powell

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    I agree. But I found that with RF'ers it's all about "religion" espescially when it comes to Leica v. Contax and, thus Leitz v. Zeiss.

With them we're talking "holy war" whereas with Nikon v. Canon - you know that at the end of the day they'd all go drink together at the Kareoke Bar!
    George: You're good to include the tongue-in-cheek smiley ... actually, I find a few zealot types on RFF, LOTS of Leica-philes are over the top, of course, but generally on RFF the openness is quite refreshing. Me, my horizons are simply cash-limited.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rfshootist View Post
    Well, as the boss, so is his company. For those gaga-talkers RFF has always been an attractive place. They have the majority there, at least their noise can make you believe that. A bunch of good photogs have gone therefore, a pity.

bertram
    Bertram: We miss you there. I think your assessment is a bit much, but I still miss you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alan: Thank you for the reference to Thesinger. I will definitely seek out his work.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Dunbar View Post
    Alan: Thank you for the reference to Thesinger. I will definitely seek out his work.
    It's Thesiger Earl. "Visions of a Nomad" was published by Collins. The books "Arabian Sands" and the "Marsh Arabs" are absolutely must reading but ultimately sad because they give us a final glimpse of a way of life that about to disappear for ever. Thesiger's autobiography aptly entitled "A Life of My Choice" (Collins) is also a must as is Michael Asher's "Thesiger" (Viking). Comparing Thesiger's writings to what constitutes travel writing today makes one realise most present day writers are just on shallow ego trips. Earl, any follow up you can do on will be truly rewarding.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I read an interview with Jane Bown which alleged she also only tended to use one aperture and shutter speed, and natural light, too. Almost like shooting with a box camera or something else really basic -- except with a good lens you can focus properly.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin