Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,886   Online: 1155

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Photographers who shot with a rangefinder and one lens

Hi guys,

I'm teaching a college photography course for journalism students and have a simple question.
    We've just finished looking at the work of Cartier-Bresson.
    Do you know of any popular/famous rangefinder shooters who traveled the world and used one lens. You know the type of person who did it all but only shot with a 35mm. I realize some of the early cameras didn't change lenses but I'm looking more for a photographer who had the choice but choose to shoot with one lens.

Thanks.
    -Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I cant give the exact referance, but I am under the impression that Robert Cappa shot the vast majiority of his work with a 50mm. I was taught that his working motto was "If your work work is not good enough your are not close enoguh enoungh." Most of the miltary cambat PJ in WWII were issued cameras like the Kodak 35 with a fixed lens, or a 4X5 with a single lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was told Christos Manos shot the project "Where's Boston" with a Leica M3 and a 35mm lens. What he used on other projects I could not answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not RF, but much excellent work was done with fixed-lens 75 or 80mm Rolleiflex TLR's. Pierre Verger's pictures come to mind.

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Inayat Noor View Post
    I was told Christos Manos shot the project "Where's Boston" with a Leica M3 and a 35mm lens. What he used on other projects I could not answer.
    I think you actually mean Costa Manos...

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=TimVermont;422893]Not RF, but much excellent work was done with fixed-lens 75 or 80mm Rolleiflex TLR's. Pierre Verger's pictures come to mind

Diane Arbus (spelling?) Margeret Brooks White and others who worked with Speeds and TLRs.

Images
    Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Photo-Jour-Pic...e=UTF8&s=books

David Hume Kennerly. It's not 35mm, but Mamiya 7 with a 43mm lens for a year. A fun book.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Salomon, I believe shot most of his famous Versailles impromptus of polititians with an Ermanox with a very fast lens. He had a frame finder not an optical rangefinder if I'm correct. I saw one of those in a showcase in what I think was the old Olden Camera in New York about two years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although he's not in the photojournalism genre, Ralph Gibson reports using a 50mm and Leica M for the majority of his work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eggleston, Frank?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin