Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,532   Posts: 1,572,648   Online: 960

Shooter
    35mm RF

helicoid lubrication

Hi, I am fairly new here and have been looking for a repairs section. Is there such a forum?

Anyway, here is the question. I had to take my trusty Steinheil Quinon apart to get the focussing back to how it is supposed to be. After a long time puzzeling I got the lens back together again (sigh...) but after cleaning the focussing helicoid it should get some new lubrication.

What to use?

Thanks, Rob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Micro Tools has helical grease.
    —Eric

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Spoon View Post
    Hi, I am fairly new here and have been looking for a repairs section. Is there such a forum?

Anyway, here is the question. I had to take my trusty Steinheil Quinon apart to get the focussing back to how it is supposed to be. After a long time puzzeling I got the lens back together again (sigh...) but after cleaning the focussing helicoid it should get some new lubrication.

What to use?

Thanks, Rob.
    Bicycle shops sell lithium grease which is very satisfactory for general lens use.
    Just alittle is good - don't overdo it! http://www.apug.org/forums/images/sm...icon_smile.gif

Murray

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    An excellent choice for a lens lubricant is Permatex Super Lube. This is a clear synthetic grease with teflon. It does not seem to outgas solvents that would deposit on lens surfaces. This can be a problem with other greases, especially at higher temperatures. Some lubricants will become very stiff (think "wax") at low temperatures, but Super Lube does not. You should be able to find it in an automotive parts store, as many of them carry several other Permatex products. Just remember, whichever lubricant you use, "Less is More" - (don't use much).
    Those who don't think Photographers have the skills of REAL artists such as painters obviously have not had to spot my prints.

Shooter
    Medium Format

GREASE TO USE

I FOUND MOST GREASE TOO THIN SO THEIR WAS NOT ENOUGH DRAG.
    SOME HAVE A LOW MELTING POINT AND WILL GET INTO OTHER MOVING PARTS. I FOUND A GREASE MADE BY "LUCAS" THAT IS CALLED "RED AND TACKY #2" TO BE JUST PERFECT.
    WES

Shooter
    Large Format
    Greases are formulated for specific applications. I have no doubt that other greases, such as an automotive or industrial grease, may initially work fine in a helical. But I fear that over time it may break down and separate from the thickener, outgas solvents or thicken up at low temperatures, etc. The possible exception being a synthetic grease, like the Permatex Super Lube mentioned. But still, if the grease is not specifically designed for use on a camera lens, I would hesitate to use it. Repairing a helical is very difficult for me, and so the effort required to repair it far outweighs the expense of the proper lubricant. I just don’t want to do it over.

I have used the Micro-Tools helical grease, in both 10 and 30 weight. It is very expensive for just a thimble full, but if works exactly as intended. Out of the can even the 30 weight has the consistency of Vaseline, but applied in a very thin layer (I use an artist’s paintbrush), it tightens up a helical to give a very good feel.
    —Eric

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin