Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,811   Online: 854

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

"Will the Lynx live, Doc?"

Can anyone recommend a repair facility to put a shutter repair into this seemingly very solid Yashica Lynx 14? This appears to be a well-built camera, though I've never used or owned one. Seems to be worth a salvage effort.

Shooter
    35mm
    Might I ask, what is wrong with the shutter?
    The 14's are pretty solid cameras. I personally prefer the plain 14.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhoundman View Post
    Might I ask, what is wrong with the shutter?
    The 14's are pretty solid cameras. I personally prefer the plain 14.
    Sure, I'd be happy to tell you what I know, which isn't much. Working the advance lever doesn't produce shutter blades that open/close. One can feel something engage, perhaps to cock the mechanism, but when released through the button, the blades move only VERY minimally. Something in the mechanism is broken/detached? That's the extent of my knowledge.

All else seems fine, rangefinder coupled & fairly bright, aperature smooth, focus smooth, needs seals (but I can muck through that on my own, wasn't going to bother unless I can get the shutter fixed). The filter ring is somewhat dinged up, if the tech has to go in through the front element, it'll need some attention before the front ring will unscrew, but not that much.

The body's in very nice shape, & yes, it's the plain ol' Lynx 14, which just seems to be a very cool tool to have whether the meter still works or not (haven't tried a battery yet...compartment's clean....once again, IF I can get the shutter fixed). Sure wouldn't mind having this in working order...judging from the balance, there's some weighty glass in it. I have read nice things about the lens, I believe.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Lynx is actually pretty easy to work on. Odds are that the shutter is gummed up from collected lubricants and just needs to be cleaned and exercised. The lens is a Tessar formula, a bit flare prone, but otherwise good, and you really can't find anything else as quiet with a lens that fast. I just wish the meter handle higher EIs.

Shooter
    35mm
    If I recall the Lynx 14 has a very fast lens - f/1.4 possibly? Does that not seem a tad fast for a Tessar?

J

Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    The Lynx is actually pretty easy to work on. Odds are that the shutter is gummed up from collected lubricants and just needs to be cleaned and exercised. The lens is a Tessar formula, a bit flare prone, but otherwise good, and you really can't find anything else as quiet with a lens that fast. I just wish the meter handle higher EIs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A little more reading..

revealed that it's f1.4 lens has seven elements in five groups. Just for my own clarification, aren't Tessars four in three or four in two?

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, had that lens confused with another Yashica lens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin