Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,115   Online: 735

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Another newbie lens question.

Well I have another stupid question for the group.

I would like to add to my new leica M3 kit a wide angle lens (28mm or 35mm)

I am wondering how people shoot with these older model leicas and use wide angle lenses. I notice that a view lens models come with "goggles" that provide a frameline in the view finder. This appears to be on the older lenses, and as far as I have seen, are limited to 35mm.

How do people use the new wide lenses with an M3?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The goggled lenses were designed specifically for the M3 because it doesn't have a 35mm finder. You could use a newer lens but might want to invest in a accesory shoe mount auxillary finder to go with.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Auxiliary finder

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    The goggled lenses were designed specifically for the M3 because it doesn't have a 35mm finder. You could use a newer lens but might want to invest in a accesory shoe mount auxillary finder to go with.
    Thanks John,

I assume these auxiliary finders provide the framelines only and do not offer rangefinder focusing capabilities. Is that a correct assumption?

If so, I am interested in what general techniques people using this method us to obtain accurate focusing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shicks5319 View Post
    Thanks John,

I assume these auxiliary finders provide the framelines only and do not offer rangefinder focusing capabilities. Is that a correct assumption?

If so, I am interested in what general techniques people using this method us to obtain accurate focusing.
    This is correct, so you focus with the rangefinder in the usual way but then switch to the auxiliary finder for framing. If I recall correctly, I think the whole visible area in an M3 finder (i.e. beyond the 50 mm frame) corresponds roughly to the field of view of a 35 mm lens.

Regards,

David

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin