Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,565   Online: 1093

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

CV 40mm f1.4 mc, a great lens?

Like to hear some views on this lens. It is my goto lens on a daily basis. How do others feel about this lens? Please be candid.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't own this lens and I have never used one, but from what I've read, it's a good lens. The Summicron/Rokkor 40mm are most likely better in terms of the creamy look and less expensive used. I used to have the Rokkor. It disappeared on a hiking trip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kivis View Post
    Like to hear some views on this lens. It is my goto lens on a daily basis. How do others feel about this lens? Please be candid.
    g'day kivis

why the thread?

do you need validation?

what do you feel about this lens?

Shooter
    35mm
    Does anyone here know which frames this would bring up an a Leica M6?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike,

It normally brings up the 50mm framelines. I took a file to the cam on mine and after about 3 minutes work it now brings up the 35mm lines which I think are a better match to its field of view. I have the single coated version and think it's an interesting lens. Not great as some of the Leica lenses are, but interesting with its own look.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had the S.C version and found it ok but lacking in any unique personality or character so I sold it. Much prefer the look I get from the 50/2 Summicron DR or my 50/1.5 Summarit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Comparing this lens just with other Cosina "Voigtländer" lenses, would the 35mm f1.7 be a better bet? The focal length is almost the same, and the price is comparable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Many people love the CV 35/1.7, so I wouldn't say anything bad about it. Two things worth noting are that it's a much bigger lens than the 40/1.4 & PopPhoto measured its maximum aperture at f/1.8 while the 40 is a true f/1.4 so the speed difference is significant

It all depends on what you want. If you want a compact high speed lens, then no, the 35/1.7 is not a good substitute. However, some people like the ergonomics of a bigger lens & the 2/3 stop difference may not be all that important to some.

Bottom line is that even though it's not a huge difference, 40 & 35 are different focal lengths & if you like the perspective of one of them, the other is not a substitute.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    also note that while the 40 1.4 is a pretty compact lens on a M camera, it feels a bit too big on a CL. so it's not really a replacement for the 40 2.0 if you're a speed freak.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin