Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,835   Online: 869

Shooter
    Multi Format

Leica Label question . . .

There is a label affixed to the inside of the bottom plate of my Leica IIIa No. 304168 (circa 1938). I am interested in learning why the label is there, and what is the significance of this label. Is this the vendor's label? I have attached photographs of the label and camera. Thank you very much. Dann
    Last edited by DannL; 09-09-2007 at 10:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    There is a label affixed to the inside of the bottom plate of my Leica IIIa No. 304168 (circa 1938). I am interested in learning why the label is there, and what is the significance of this label. Is this the vendor's label? I have attached photographs of the label and camera. Thank you very much. Dann
    It's a dealer label. "Photo-Kino" ("Photo - cine") presumably indicates that the dealer sold both still and ciné cameras, the dealer's name is Jos[ef] Rodenstock. I presume the illegible word is "Nachf." ("Nachfolger" or "successor to"), "Optiker Wolff" was the previous owner ("Wolff the Optician"), the shop had branches in München (Munich) and Berlin. The last word is hard to read ("Bobraoptik"?), it means nothing to me, I presume it was a trade name "Bobra optic[al products]".

Regards,

David

PS: There's a guy here
    http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=006sQr
    with another camera from the same shop - the last word is "Robraoptik", which is apparently the name of a photo store in Munich (still in business):
    http://www.photoworld2.de/photoworld...,0-178,00.html
    Maybe a group of 3 dealers' shops (1 in Berlin, 2 in Munich) who all used the same sticker?
    Last edited by David H. Bebbington; 03-27-2007 at 01:23 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Adding info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks David. I appreciate your help on this one. I really enjoy learning about the history behind these old cameras. If infact, if this specific camera was sold from Robraoptik that makes things even more interesting. Adds a little provenance. Also being marked in meters makes me think it was not made for the US market. Possibly picked up in trade during/after the war.

From my own basic research Josef Rodenstock very well may be the same Rodenstock from the lens family . . .

Rodenstock History

I use their lenses on my enlargers.

Thanks again.

The optical company Rodenstock who make eyeglasses and photographic lenses was "G. Rodenstock", not "J. Rodenstock".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    The optical company Rodenstock who make eyeglasses and photographic lenses was "G. Rodenstock", not "J. Rodenstock".
    Thanks Seele. This may be so, but according to the Rodenstock line-up a certain Josef Rodenstock was the a founding member with his bother Mikey . . . . .Rodenstock entrepreneurs

Great News! We found it . . . "V" for Victory http://www.retrography.com/rodenstock.htm

It's the same Josef Rodenstock.

So, a question now is . . . did Robraoptik sell my camera or did Rodenstock supply the lens? I'm thinking it's the dealer label as David mentioned. Probably not found on most Leica cameras.

+++++++++++++
    Last edited by DannL; 04-05-2007 at 01:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    The label is especially interesting because this camera obviously was sold by a dealer branch of Rodenstock Company in Berlin, it's founder (1877) was Josef Rodenstock.

Regards,
    bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin