Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,449   Online: 932

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Antony View Post
    I loved the FD100 F2.8 sharp good contrast and worth nothing!
    http://www.pbase.com/mark_antony/image/59819421
    regards
    Mark
    if you're interested in the results from this lens sign up to the postcard exchange as my card for the latest round was taken using an FD 100mm 2.8 fitted to an A1.

Brian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd love too but I no longer have the lens (it was an early FD breechlock with chrome ring.
    One thing I liked was how compact it was (compared to the 105 Nikon I now own)
    Great lens!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks guys, and apologies for not returning sooner. In practice I think it's going to boil down to what my local camera shop has at the point where I have some spare cash over the next month or so. The guesses on my budget were about right though - £50-£100 ideally though if there'd been a huge consensus on £150 getting me something outstanding I would've stretched to it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    spinningdoc,

I'd give some serious thought to getting a camera from the well-known auction site. In my experience prices are hugely lower than from UK camera shops. Obviously you don't get much in the way of redress if something goes wrong, though.

FWIW, I've never had a camera arrive non-working although I have had a couple with bad light seals (easy to replace) or misaligned rangefinders (also easy to fix).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with mcgrattan. Ebay something. They are so cheap.. I have had two bad cameras out of about 50 to 60 camera/lens transactions. One was a Zeiss range finder that was sheer junk. He took it back. The other was on some 2 1/4 point and shoots from Great Britain. Guy threw the three camera in a paper/fiber sack and shipped them across the big pond. He eventually refunded my money when I sent him photos of what was left of the cameras.

My recommendation is either a Zorki 2 or 3 with the aforementioned 85mm lens or, daring as it sounds... a 2 1/4 TLR. Either get a fixed lens Yashica or... A Mamiya C series with a 135 or longer lens. As Borat would say.... Naaahse.

You should be able to pick one of them up in good shape of the Bay for 100 pounds. You would be amazed what I bought a Mamiya RB67 SLR for with three backs, 90mm lens, handle grip, case, etc... It wasn't more than 150 L , I can tell you that.

Anyhow,

tim in san jose
    Last edited by k_jupiter; 04-07-2007 at 12:19 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: miss spelling
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've ebayed something. A Canon AE Program with a 75-200mm lens (an Ozeck, which seems obscure so probably not exactly top rank...) for £35. Bargain! And thanks for all your advice.

Shooter
    35mm
    The 85mm is the best protrait lens that I have used. Next is the quality of the glass (manufacturer) and then affordability. The lens is not much longer than a 50mm. It works well with one person. The 50mm is better for two people and the 35mm for three. That's a rule of thumb I read somewhere.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Nikkor 105/2.5 is an excellent lens. It is very sharp and useful for portraits and many landscapes. An older nikkormat ftn or Nikon F2 should easily be found to to support it.
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by harveyje View Post
    The Nikkor 105/2.5 is an excellent lens. It is very sharp and useful for portraits and many landscapes. An older nikkormat ftn or Nikon F2 should easily be found to to support it.
    That 105/2.5 is perhaps the best lens I have ever used. I only have 2 lens for my FM2. The 105 and a 35/2.5. In 16 years, haven't felt the need for anything else. (Of course, there are thirty five other cameras in multitudes of formats that take up the slack) But, when I know I need the shot, the Nikon is still the one.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin