Switch to English Language Passer en langue franηaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,828   Online: 717

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Canonet Tearing Film

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and fixed it?

It seems to happen if I wind quickly, the film jumps the sprockets.

Of course when I am shooting I get excited, I wind quickly. Dammit.

I'm thinking I could just smudge-tighter the pressure plate and/or QL guide, there must be a spring shape in it... anyone had this experience? Before I go looking for another $30 camera?

thanks

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KB • PhotoRant • PhotoPermit • APUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and fixed it?

It seems to happen if I wind quickly, the film jumps the sprockets.

Of course when I am shooting I get excited, I wind quickly. Dammit.

I'm thinking I could just smudge-tighter the pressure plate and/or QL guide, there must be a spring shape in it... anyone had this experience? Before I go looking for another $30 camera?

thanks
    You might try a search over on Rangefinderforum.com

When I hung out there a while ago I seem to remember a thread on this topic.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Is this happening anywhere on the roll? With factory loads or bulk? I have had a few different cameras tear out sprocket holes rather than tear the film/ tape off the cassette spindle at the end of a roll. I have also had tearout with basically dumb reloading, say, 45 frames in a cassette, when the film went in but then binds and doesn't want to come out.

Ken

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    start, end, middle

"What Would Zeus Do?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is this the G-III QL-17 model? If so, I've never had this issue in the many years I've used and abused my camera and I've rewound the unit quickly with no issue.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Is this the G-III QL-17 model? If so, I've never had this issue in the many years I've used and abused my camera and I've rewound the unit quickly with no issue.
    Yup. I looked for a replacement at the recent photo fair, but the ones I found all had, like mine, wobbly lenses. (made me feel less anxious about mine)

I'm still shooting with it, as long as I wind SLOWLY there's no problem. Wind quick -- pretty much sure to jump the sprockets and tear.

"What Would Zeus Do?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    I'm still shooting with it, as long as I wind SLOWLY there's no problem. Wind quick -- pretty much sure to jump the sprockets and tear.
    Bjorke:

I am working from long faded memory here.

IIRC, the Canonet has a pressure plate that is on springs. Could your springs have sprung ?

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's my suspicion. Doggoned thing has film in it all the time, it's hard to check!

"What Would Zeus Do?"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I just looked at my Canon QL17 G3, which does not have film in it since I need to replace the foam. The gate/ pressure plate that lifts 90 degrees to load, and then comes back down over the take-up spindle and the sprockets, has a small spring (sort of a curved flat spring) that presses down on the bottom margin of the film, just outside the perforations. This would hold the film flat against the film channel and keeps it tight against the sprockets. I suggest checking that spring for position and tension.

Regards and good luck with it,

Ken

Shooter
    35mm
    The plate that swings open to load film, can become bent from repeated maxing of the back when opening. It has two tabs that sit on chrome studs. These have to be in contact when closed.
    Otherwise the roller won't keep enough pressure on the film.
    That and a weak pressure plate can make it skip constantly.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin