Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,112   Online: 870

Shooter
    Multi Format

Summicron 35 and 12585 lens hood - vignetting issues?

Hi,

I seem to have rather pronounced vignetting issues with my Summicron 35 and 12585 lens hood. Although I have not actually noted down aperture settings, I have the impression that the issue appears regardless of aperture.

Have anyone else experienced this? It seems that the 12585 is not the correct hood for this lens - but which one would be?

My 35 is a pre-ASPH one, Canadian built.

Thanks

Søren Kvistgaard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There a couple of hoods for pre-aspheric 35's, 12584, 12571(IROOA) are two that I've found listed in "Identifying Leica Lenses".
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the 12585 hood on my Canadian-built 35mm Summicron. I've never had any vignetting issues with it. It is a lens hood designated for this particular lens--it's the round, snap-on type with cut-out vents and can be reversed on the lens to store, right?

Can't imagine why it would vignette on your Summicron.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The hood on my late-model, Germany-labeled pre-ASPH 35 'cron is the 12524. It's a very compact rectangular design. No problems with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    I use the 12585 hood on my Canadian-built 35mm Summicron. I've never had any vignetting issues with it. It is a lens hood designated for this particular lens--it's the round, snap-on type with cut-out vents and can be reversed on the lens to store, right?

Can't imagine why it would vignette on your Summicron.
    Hi Lee,

the hood is indeed the round snap-on type with three vents, but it does not fit the 35mm in reversed mode (this works with the 50mm Summicron).

I think I need to do some proper testing, and figure out if it's actually the lens hood causing the vignetting, or if the lens is flawed (not exactly a spring chicken ).

Thanks all for sharing your knowledge.

Søren

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin