Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,112   Online: 959

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mamiya 6 or 7

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Mamiya 6 has a problem with the advance lever system, if it breaks, which it does, the camera is irrepairable. The Mamiya 7II was only discontinued in the last year or so, by law Mamiya has to have replacements parts for 7 years. The Mamiya 6 is already at or near the end of it's 7 year spare parts requirement.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser View Post
    The Mamiya 6 has a problem with the advance lever system, if it breaks, which it does, the camera is irrepairable. The Mamiya 7II was only discontinued in the last year or so, by law Mamiya has to have replacements parts for 7 years. The Mamiya 6 is already at or near the end of it's 7 year spare parts requirement.

Actually, Mamiya is still making and selling the 7II, they just had a huge 7II promotion here in Japan. They only camera they have discontinued is the 645 Pro TL.

Hope it helps.

Gary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    actually, they are quite different cameras. I have the 7II and the 7, but I could imagine having a 6 as well for those times when I wanted to shoot square. All three cameras are excellent travel cameras -- you can't go wrong. However, were I to purchase a 6, then I might want to pick up a spare as backup.
    J Michael Sullivan
    Editor/Publisher, MAGNAchrom
    www.magnachrom.com

...SOMETIMES I SEE THINGS...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coriana6jp View Post
    Actually, Mamiya is still making and selling the 7II, they just had a huge 7II promotion here in Japan. They only camera they have discontinued is the 645 Pro TL.

Hope it helps.

Gary
    Are you sure they're still making it and not just selling old stock?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Are you sure they're still making it and not just selling old stock?
    Mamiya said, the only camera they are not going to continue making for now is 645 Pro TL. All the major camera stores here still are selling them though, but at least one big store in Tokyo is sold out of the 7II and Mamiya is doing another production run. The 7II is the rather profitable for them, they claim. Currently they are making the 645AFD II, the RZ67IID, the 7II and the ZD.

At least thats what they said. Where did you hear there were discontinuing them? Mamiya is still running ads in the magazines here for the 7II.

Gary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Strange as it may sound, I too believed that Mamiya had stopped production of film cameras on the basis of the ROHS legislation which bans the use of lead and other materials in solder and has led to the demise of the Hasselblad X=pan. Having read this thread I had a look at the Mamiya UK website and it appears they are indeed still selling film cameras!

http://www.mamiya.co.uk/products.php

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGNAchrom View Post
    actually, they are quite different cameras. I have the 7II and the 7, but I could imagine having a 6 as well for those times when I wanted to shoot square. All three cameras are excellent travel cameras -- you can't go wrong. However, were I to purchase a 6, then I might want to pick up a spare as backup.
    I would definitely recommend having a second body. I have two, but one has broken down. It's repairable but too expensive to do until I get desperate. It's not the winder gear which is not repairable due to lack of parts.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I bought a 6 in the end and no regrets. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy the square format, body and 3 lenses cost less than a 7 and 2 lenses and the lenses ( especially the 50mm ) are superlative.

Am undertaking a project with it next week in Spain ( http://www.donquijote.org/culture/sp...as/elrocio.asp ) - waling with up to a million other people deep in Andalucia.

Should be fun :-)

Thanks for all the advice

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm currently having the winder in my 6MF repaired here in Dublin, with new parts straight from Mamiya. Is it only the 6 and not the 6MF that has parts availability issues? I would have thought they would use the same winder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The whole winder mechanism is not available as a whole part any longer, but some of the parts within the winder mechanism are serviceable as MAC in the US told me. So if you get it CLA'd they can refresh as many parts as they can, adjust it, and stop a total breakdown of the winder.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin