Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,470   Online: 1112

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mamiya 6 or 7

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The biggest differences between the 6 and 7ii as I see them:

(1) As mentioned, the lens family for the 7 series is larger, as mentioned;

(2) The 6 is a bit more compact and I really like the collapsibilty for travel, it packs very well and securely;

(3) There are significant metering differences; metering on the 6 is kind of ambiguous- it is either full frame or kinda centre-weighted depending on which lens you use. There are workarounds and tricks though;

(4) Double exposure- can't do it on the 6. Usually not a big deal but recently, in the desert, I really wanted to preflash an exposure. Then I remembered that the 6 cannot do multi-exposures, so I would have had to preflash the roll externally before loading it;

(5) I see basically no difference between 6x6 and 6x7- for RF shooting, I like to shoot square(ly) and I always aim to preserve the ratio and the whole neg/chrome in the print. If you routinely want to shoot for a final 6:4.5 or 6:7 or 6:8 aspect ratio in the print, then the 7ii will deliver ultimately better crops. But as for me I like squares and find them easier to compose.

Anyway... just some stray advice: whatever you get, plan on getting to two bodies before long. Things can and do happen and, anyway, it's a big luxury to be able to load one kind of film in one body and something else in another. If I have any complaint at all about the mamiya RFs, it's that the backs aren't interchangeable on the fly... I know I know, I want too much.

All that said, I have two sixes and treasure them, and am now looking to pick up a 6MF as well.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Other things equal I'd buy the 7 because there's more stuff around if you need to replace something and a much greater ease of getting spares. There are things that are known to go go wrong with the 6 that are difficult to get fixed because all the spares have gone. Of course if it never breaks all this is irrelevant. But the 6 is an old camera now, is that a fair assumption?

I wouldn't personally worry too much about the slight format difference. Framing isn't exact and its likely you'll be making some crops anyway. If it were a slr with an accurate finder image, thats a different story.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin