Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,674   Online: 1178

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mamiya 6 or 7

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Mamiya 6 or 7

Im looking to buy a secondhand 3 lens (wide, standard and tele ) system for primarily documentary and some landscape photography. i am happy with either format so that is not a consideration. Any thoughts on handling, build quality or performance issues. I have Fuji 6x9 so am also happy with rangefinders per se.

Thanks

Geoff

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I prefer the 7 II. I think there is not a big difference in handling or quality. The 7 is newer.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Both the Mamiya 6 or 7II are great cameras.

As Petzi said, the 7II design is newer.

Do you like a square format for landscapes? If you do, go for the 6.

If you prefer a 6x7 format, then the 7II is the camera to get.

It's up to you. I have the 7II system and love it.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the 6 and it's a great camera. I don't think that you can go wrong with either one. The biggest advantage of the 6 is that the lens can retract into the body, but the size difference with the 150mm lens is minimal. If both cameras seem equal to you, I'd go with the 7 just for the sake of buying the newer camera. Good luck with whichever you choose.
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've had a six, wonderful camera, but square was not for me. I now have a seven II. The build quality is the same, choose square or rectangular. If no preference then the six and lenses will be much cheaper than the seven or 7II, but if something breaks may be difficult to fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 7II and it's a great camera with wonderful lenses. I am very much a wide angle user, though, and have no experience of using it with telephotos. Rangefinder focusing is always at its weakest with longer lenses and I have heard that the camera can be a touch temperamental when using them, but others here with more experience will be able to give you the true picture.

David.

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also own a 7II and this is my favorit camera for wide angle, especially the 43mm is a great lens. Sure focusing longer lenses is a little difficult. After a while you don't know even better.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for all your replies.

If i'm honest I would really like the 6 cos I abandoned the square format a long time ago and sometimes regret it. Its more compact than the 7 with the ability to retract the lens - ease of travelling. But its an older design now and common sense tells me to play safer and get the 7, which I would no doubt be just as happy with in reality. Some new ones are still available which is also tempting. I want it to last a long time though it would not be used extensively, just heavily occasionally.

The 43mm lens is also an attraction but I dont know if I really need it but the fact it exists is like a shadow on my sub-conscious ( ie my wallet ). But not unpleasantly :-).

Any more thoughts would be helpful but its probably the 7 and probably next month.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The only reason I'd get a 6 again would be because it doesn't need an external viewfinder for its 50mm. The 43mm lens for the 7 does look good but I'd be interested in the acccuracy of its finder before buying.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd opt for the 6 because I like the square format and I assume the older model would be less expensive on the used market. I borrowed a 6 a few times, loved it. I also have access to a 7 at work. I've used the 7 once and didn't care for it mainly because the tele lens (150 IIRC) doesn't focus close enough. I don't recall having the same problem with the 6 and its 150.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin