Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,431   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Contax G shooters?

I've been struggling with rangefinders for quite a few years now. Grab shots in generous lighting are no problem but shooting out on the edge where RFs are supposed to excel the most, I've found difficult. RF patch focusing, no TTL metering, separate viewfinders, etc slow me down; especially when chasing the kids around. Its certainly not from lack of trying. I've owned classic Contax, Nikon, Leica screw, etc - only Leica M has evaded my curiosity simply because of the price.

So I find myself with a Contax G1 camera body. I'm hoping AF, metering, telecoping/parallax corrected finder is going to bring some spontaneity back to my RF photography. I got to play a little with one and it seems like a solid little camera. The optics appear to be first rate. I like the fact the short lenses focus as close as my SLR. (another gripe of the RFs I have used)

Any Contax G system users here? I'm in the market for a lens. I'll start with the 45/2 and go from there.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have one and I love it for travel work. Nice, pocketable (more or less), spot-on metering even in challenging lighting. Flash performance leaves a fair bit to be desired, however. The 45 is a great first lens for the system, and with prices being what they are, you can finish out the 28-45-90 kit quite reasonably.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I carry a G2 when I want to travel light (compared to MF/LF). I use the 21 & 45 a lot, the 28 less and the 90 least, but that is a matter of shoooting style. You have to learn its idiosyncrasies, but I really like it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I much prefer the G2 because the operational details are worked-out better. It's a tad bigger. The 21 28 and 45's are fab lenses. The 90 too though I rarely use it.

Have you touched base at http://www.contaxg.com/ ?

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've got a G2 which I use for urban / people work. Makes a nice nice change from lugging mypentax 67 around! I think its a brilliant camera, but it takes time to get used to its little quirks. I've got the 28, 45, 90mm lenses, all wonderful. Here's a quick focussing technique link:
    http://www.botzilla.com/blog/archives/000378.html

Best wishes,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a G1 last year for taking with me on work trips when I didn't have much room. I only have the 45 and the 28 but I love the quality of the lenses. Seems to me that you can't do much better in the price/performance ration in 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds good. My G1 has the green ROM upgrade and I added a 45/2 Planar last night, so I should be good to go.

I think a G2 will be in my future if I get along with the G1. Two bodies would be an ideal travel outfit.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A few weeks ago I've aquired a G2 with the 21, 28, 45 and 90mm. The lens I'm using most of the time is the 21mm. It's far superior to the Nikon 2.8/20mm because it really is distortion free. I'm even using it for portraits. The G system is the next best tool to the Rollei 35s because it's small enough to be carried around for long days. Some samples here:Contax G2 2.8/21mm Biogon
    Don't dream your life - live your dream.
    I'm using FILM because nature isn't made of squares.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree! I love my G2 with my 21mm Biogon
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used a Contax G1 for several years now. Never had any problems and only use 45mm lens. Need to get used to the focussing and be careful not to move focus knob inadvertently. Simple to use and excellent results.
    Regards
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin