Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,653   Posts: 1,481,316   Online: 1047

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I like using an XA for a carry around camera and as a "spy" camera. Here is a pic: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=1138
    Oh, the light seals in the back can get gummy, but are easy to replace with a $6 kit on ebay.

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hwy1.jpg  
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 06-03-2007 at 01:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Love the photo Jon! Very moody.

I haven't seen many color photos with the XA though. Anyone care to share some?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too advise a Minox 35.
    The models made differ somewhat in the way of exposure control.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjoo View Post
    - Compact. Preferably pocket sized. For the most part, range finders have extruding lenses correct? Is a "normal" 35mm camera a better choice?
    - Built in metering.
    - Cheap! Just in case it is stolen, I don't want to be too heart broken
    Disposable cameras will fill 2 out of your 3 requirements... especially the third one. And they will certainly NOT make you an attractive target for thieves.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Never without an XA

I have dozens of cameras and lenses to choose from whenever I travel. But the one camera that is almost always in a pocket is an Olympus XA.

I have three of the XA and a couple of the XA2, but the XA always fills the niche better.

I keep it loaded with 800-speed film to avoid needing the barely adequate, attaching flash, which kind of defeats the rationale for a small camera since it makes it almost unpocketable. The XA and fast film are wonderful for night shots in Vegas or in museums where flash is not allowed.

The silver button cells last for years and, other than a foam job every couple decades or so, no other service has ever been required.

The closest thing to the XA in a point-and-shoot would be the Olympus Stylus Epic. It has very precise AF, a splendid lens and spot metering, probably tracing its pedigree back to the XA.

Of course, the XA offers control over aperture and depth of field or speed which puts it ahead of the P&S pack for shooters who prefer some more involvement in the picture-making process.

Also, the metal clamshell case makes it extremely hard to damage anything on the XA.

Lastly, the almost-silent shutter makes it handy for from-the-hip, surreptitious pictures when you set a hyperfocal distance on it.

Ken Rosenbaum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the XA, for all the reasons already mentioned.

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    But for travel I think the XA is tops. You could throw it at an assailant.
    I first read that as "assistant." Eeek! :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Haha that too! But before throwing it, I would advise recovering the film and the batteries. I mean, those things cost money.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Olympus Mju II (also known as the Stylus Epic). For me, the perfect carry around compact.

It is tiny, has a good meter with spot metering facility, versatile flash settings and a cracking lens. I've almost never had a bad picture from mine.

Downsides, the 35mm lens is a bit wide for a lot of what I like to shoot, and the flash tends to produce redeye when used for night portraits with colour film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I realize, of course, the Olympus Mju isn't actually a rangefinder. The XA is, afaik, the only rangefinder with comparable size.

I recently bought a Kodak Retina IIc which folds really small, but it's much heavier and would require an external meter unless you were comfortable using sunny-16 to estimate exposure.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin