Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,479   Online: 1137

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This thread inspired me to get on the phone with my dad to ask him to mail me all his retired, analog "vacation" cameras. I'm pretty sure there's an XA-something in his junk drawer.

What I really need is a new, bargain QL17 GIII. Mine has a dead shutter. Can't beat that 1.7 aperture.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd happily support the XA for your expedition, and you may wish to read a bit more about it on Camerapedia at the link below. That page also has links to other sites where you'll most likely get examples of colour shots you were looking for.

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Olympus_XA

Shooter
    Large Format
    It was some years back when I went to Sai Paulo but I didnt feel it was that dangerous. I felt a bit paranoid in Rio, but I think it was all the things I was told - wasnt there for long but had no problems. I would get insurance from a decent company and take what you like to use. Brazil is a lovely place to visit. I am sure you can buy a film camera if yours does got stolen in the worst case.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies guys!

I've already been outbid on 3 XA's on eBay! I've been bidding around $70 USD on each auction and have had no luck. I've upped my max bid a bit now so hopefully I'll be able to snag a few.

The disposable camera was a good suggestion, but I think investing in a camera that I can reuse would be a better bet for me. I'm hoping to return with at least 500 negatives or so from this trip alone, so carrying around that many disposables would not be feasible!

Edit: The Olympus Stylus Epic seems like a great, compact camera as well! I can get one brand new for the same price as a used XA! However, I'm really drawn to the rangefinder, so I will keep trying for the XA. I might as well add a Stylus Epic to my bag as well, since it's so cheap!
    Last edited by jasonjoo; 06-03-2007 at 07:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am a huge proponent of the XA, (currently have 2 XAs and an XA2 in the house) but ... an even less expensive alternative is the Konica C35. It is totally automatic (programmed exposure), and not as versatile as the XA, but it has a stellar lens. In some respects/situations I like how the lens draws a bit better than the XA. In my experience, buying an XA on eBay is a bit of a crap shoot. They are old cameras, and even if it is operable when you get it, how co you know it will be fine throughout your trip to Brazil? The film wind can wear out before other parts, and the electronics are not replaceable as modules; you would have to have a tech who could do component level troubleshooting and repair. A good CLA will cost about $100 with shipping.

The Konica is a bit simpler in design and construction because it is not as small. But it is small enough to fit in a jeans pocket. Plus, the viewfinder of the C35 is bigger and the patch is, in certain light, easier to see.

Either camera is great, it's just that the Konica doesn't get as much "good press".

Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Earl! The Konica C35 seems like a very cool camera as well! I'm really fascinated by these "toy-like" rangefinders!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    XA would be my first choice. Nice camera, I sent my Mom to Thailand with one in 1981 and she had a blast. Second choice would be a Cannon Sureshot. Usually 10 bucks, auto everything, if you lose it, oh well. I bought a couple for aerial kite photography, use one as my everyday keep in the car camera.
    Third choice... Kodak Retina IIa. You need a meter but it's bullet proof, takes great photos no matter what lens is on it, and can be gotten for under 30 bucks. And I don't think anyone would steal it. The Schneider or Kodak lens models are wonderful but any of them will give you great images.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just had a look at the XA on the net. I did not know that this first model had a rangefinder. Its short base is likely to make the rangefinder window appear as an exposure meter window.
    A very interesting camera. (I have never heard about a “reversed retrofocus wide-angle lens” before too; making a super wide-angle retrofocus lens, turning it around to have an anti-retrofocus standard wide angle lens…)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I(I have never heard about a “reversed retrofocus wide-angle lens” before too; making a super wide-angle retrofocus lens, turning it around to have an anti-retrofocus standard wide angle lens…)

*L* Just take the pictures.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    35mm
    Olympus SP or RC or RD.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin