Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,698   Posts: 1,549,104   Online: 1132

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Images

ECX-1

I will let you into a little secret, one of the best compact cameras to be had on ebay is the Samsung ECX-1. I have bought 2 of these for less than £15. It is not exactly small but it will fit into a large jacket pocket. What makes the camera outstanding is its schnieder lens. The camera was £300 when it was first introduced. I suggest you google and check out all the cameras features. You get a lot of camera for your money, people tend to overlook them because they do not associate the electrical giant Samsung company with great cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

More on the Samsung and several others

I agree about the high quality of the Samsung. I have one and enjoy it, but it is as far from compact as possible. In fact, I don't have another P&S camera that's bigger, except maybe the Pentax 105-R, and I have more than 50 or so P&S gems.

I took my Samsung to a pal's wedding reception for kicks, and the pictures (with zoom tele and wide) were actually very fine. Several enlargements turned out great. The camera's unusual design elicited some favorable comments, too

When it comes to compact with high quality, I have several Konica Big Mini versions, plus the original A4, which I think started much of the compact camera craze. And the Stylus Epic. The Leica Mini, also. All are very, very good. Some have zooms, usually 35-70, but the fixed lenses have best quality. In fact, anybody needing a compact P&S for self or youngster can email me for a good deal, and my wife would be thrilled if I thinned out my massive collection of mint and demo gear.

Alas, we are drifting far from the original question about a compact rangefinder.

But before I close, I'd like to toss in another gem that constantly amazes me with its high quality. That's the tiny Canon Elph Jr., with its fixed 2.8 lens. It's APS, I know, but enlargements to 8x10 are astounding. With fast film, turn off the flash and it's great indoors. Better, I think, than the other APS stuff with zoom lenses. I have a couple of these. The Elph Jr. will actually fit neatly in a shirt or vest pocket.
    Last edited by rosey; 06-04-2007 at 08:57 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Wrote more than header stated

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I just won my first Olympus XA! It's going to cost me $84 bucks + shipping (Includes the A11 flash), but I hope that it will be well worth it!

This will be my first rangefinder and I must say, I'm getting a bit excited!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good! I hope that you have enough time before your departure to use it -- a good deal. Not just to ensure that everything is square technically with the camera, but so that you don't have to think twice about its use once you're out in the world. Let your brain be busy seeing and shooting, not fiddling with the $%^%!! shutter speed.

As for Sao Paolo favelas themselves, check out Robert Neuwirth's book Shadow Cities which covers the topic from the perspective of a person on the ground there (rather than some travel writer). Ask your library. He also spoke at TED:

Neuwirth video (about 20 minutes)

related Stuart Brand video (about 3 mins)

As in most such squatter cities, the people in the favelas have been displaced by trade globalization. They are mostly relocated rural people and their families... kind of like a lot of Americans, two or three generations ago. One of the biggest squatter cities in the world, 70 years ago, was Seattle, where the ball park and Starbucks Headquarters are now.

Check out Salgado's Migrations too!
    Last edited by bjorke; 06-05-2007 at 10:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks bjorke. I really hope I have enough time to familiarize myself with the XA. While reading about it online, and going through it's manual, it seems like a very simple camera. I'm awaiting the seller to ship off the camera and am currently looking for a couple more XA's for the trip

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It is quite a simple camera. I explained it to my dear dad, who has no photographic inclinations, and in about 5 minutes he was good to go. He shot two rolls on a recent vacation and all but a couple were technically perfect. The only part that isn't completely obvious is rewinding the film, but it's also not hard once you locate the release button and flip out the teeny-tiny rewinding crank.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the heads up Keith!

Man, I wish the seller would contact me already! Or at least e-mail me a confirmation code. I'm really excited to use one of these things already!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Woohoo! Just won my second eBay auction for another XA + A11 flash.

In case anyone was wondering, I paid $84 + shipping for the first set and $63 + shipping for the second set. Can't wait for both of these to arrive!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you want to skip the need for a rangefinder, you could opt for a Minox 35. Very nice cameras with closed shell. Requires a battery.

Or a Lomo -- if sharpness isn't a necessity. I think this also requires a battery.

There also are the Rolllei 35's, but I'd hate to lose one of those (again).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestions elekm. I was thinking about purchasing a lomo a few months back. There's something very alluring about that camera. Perhaps it's the cult following that was influencing me.

However, now that I've discovered the Olympus XA, the lomo is not as appealing (especially because of the price!). Although, a holga would seem like a great addition...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin