Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,060   Posts: 1,561,609   Online: 841

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Most compact rangefinder?

Hey guys,

I'll be traveling to Brazil this summer with my church to assist in a medical mission trip. We will be staying in San Paulo. I've been told by locals and read on the internet that it is a fairly dangerous location. Theft, murder, and other crimes are common.

Because of this, I am looking for a very compact 35mm camera. I'll list some criteria that I feel that is important, but not necessary. If you could please point me to a camera that fits the bill, I would greatly appreciate it.

- Compact. Preferably pocket sized. For the most part, range finders have extruding lenses correct? Is a "normal" 35mm camera a better choice?
    - Built in metering.
    - Cheap! Just in case it is stolen, I don't want to be too heart broken

Well, I guess that's about it. I'm not familiar with rangefinders, other than the fact that they are compact and quiet. Is this a good choice to take with me, or is a regular 35mm camera a better choice?

Thanks,

Jason

BTW, I've been considering a toy Lomo/Holga too and perhaps a small digital point and shoot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Olympus XA. Extremely compact and ingeniously designed- a true pocket 35mm camera. If you get a good copy, capable of professional-level work. Personally I would avoid the latter ones, and go for the original XA. And at ~$50, you won't mind if you drop it down a hole.

Otherwise you might look at the yashicas. But for travel I think the XA is tops. You could throw it at an assailant.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a little Rollie 35s, it is about the size of a pack of cigs. It is a good camera, has a metre, but requires special batteries, and I can't tell you if it is cheap or not. I assume by 'regular 35mm' you mean SLR. I prefer an RF over an SLR for travel, but we are all different.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hahaha thanks Keith. I'll be looking for one as soon as I hit the reply button.

Thanks for the link JD. Cheap is what I'm aiming for right now, but I'll take a look at the Rollei 35 as well. Half the size of a pack of cigarettes... That is TINY!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Keith, what do you think about the Olympus XA 2's? There is a lot of 3 on eBay right now at a fairly low price.

Edit: Just read a link about the XA 2 and it seems that the XA is far superior. Will have to stick with the XA model as you recommended!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I also have an XA2, but I prefer the XA. I prefer a manual rangefinder. Also, the XA's lens is a bit faster, which is sometimes important.

Some shots from my XA are here and here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Beautiful shots Keith. The more I read about the XA, the more I wonder why I've never heard of it before. It seems like a fantastic, compact camera.

Edit: BTW, is there any reason to have these camera's CLA'd? And is there a reputable person/store that will?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nah, I'd say there's no reason to CLA an XA, the camera should cost $100 at most. I have heard that there are some bad copies but mine cost $50 and was in great shape, I just cleaned it with a lenspen and was ready to go.

My only gripe with the XA is that they stopped making it a long time ago

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Guess I'm being overly paranoid

I'm currently a top bidder on a XA on eBay. The owner said that the seals (?) have been replaced... I'm hoping he did a good job on it :X . He's Aussie and if I win, I'll be paying a pretty penny for it (close the $70 USD)!

I'm planning on picking up another and possibly a third for my trip. It'd be nice to have 3 different types of film (ISO 100, 400 (for flash), and 800 for indoors)

Thanks for your help Keith!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin