Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,670   Online: 799

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Ikon by Zeiss - improvements?

Has the Ikon undergone any improvements since it first came out?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Boyd View Post
    Has the Ikon undergone any improvements since it first came out?
    Dear Donald,

No. What had you in mind? The only thing I'd change is the metering...

When I was at Oberkochen a few weeks ago they said they were not sure the market was big enough for a Mk. II but that they had not ruled it out either. New lenses are definitely planned.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    35mm
    I had read its shutter is crummy.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Where did you read that? It's a modified Copal electronic shutter, as far as I know. And define "crummy."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Boyd View Post
    I had read its shutter is crummy.
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Where did you read that? It's a modified Copal electronic shutter, as far as I know. And define "crummy."
    Here we go again...

Art, where's the popcorn maker?

Shooter
    35mm
    I read numerous complaints about its shutter on rangefinderforum since people began buying them and posted their complaints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only thing I have read was a comment about metering. Since the meter reads off a grey shutter area, you have to wind the film to the next frame for the shutter to work. Not everyone winds the film after every shot, which would seem to indicate that the meter would not read, or not read accurately.

Other than that, this particular shutter is a fairly well proven design. It would surprise me to read about failures already, though that is what a warranty should cover. Obviously this type of metal shutter will be louder than a cloth shutter in a Leica rangefinder.

Anyway, the posts have me curious. Is their really a problem with this camera, other than a handful of people expecting perfection?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post

Anyway, the posts have me curious. Is their really a problem with this camera, other than a handful of people expecting perfection?
    Dear Gordon,

I'd be surprised if there were. Though my objection is that the meter readout is in the wrong place; is hard to see in bright light; and has low resolution. As far as I recall, it's only 1 stop, unlike the 1/2 or 1/3 stop possible with a 'traffic lights' (3-LED, centre 'Go', L and R 'over' and 'under'). Zeiss is not unsympathetic to this analysis.

As Copal is the last surviving serious shutter maker, it would be odd if this camera alone were defective. If it were, I'm sure the shutter would have been revised, possibly without announcement, hence no 'improvements'.

Cheers,

roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    As Copal is the last surviving serious shutter maker...
    Yes, it is a shame that there wasn't enough demand for even one frivolous shutter maker to stay in business. The upside of that is that my collection of frivolous shutters is rapidly appreciating in value, even though spares are hard to find. My pink size two-and-a-bit Rompur needs a new feather for the monkey, and you can't get them anywhere.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    35mm
    If modern Copal shutters are so good, why all the reported shutter problems on rangefinderforum? Is it the camera that is ill-designed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin