Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,157   Online: 821

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

another Leica camera I am thinking to get

It is the Bessa R2M. I think it's pretty good but a bit expensive. Are there any problems with this M camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    errrrr a Bessa R2M is not a Leica :-)

It's a Cosina made Voigtlander.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quite, although it will take Leica M lenses.

David.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Boyd View Post
    It is the Bessa R2M. I think it's pretty good but a bit expensive. Are there any problems with this M camera?
    Dear Donald,

I don't think there is an R2M. There's an R2, an R3M and an R4M, and auto versions of the latter (R3A, R4A).

I've had an R2 since they came out, the olive drab version, and it has worked faultlessly. It certainly isn't expensive: for what you get, it's incredible.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, R2M Leica M here http://cameraquest.com/voigt_250.htm

Leica M --- M standing for mount so Leica mount cameras.
    Last edited by Donald Boyd; 06-26-2007 at 07:57 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correct

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Based on ownership of 2 examples of Bessa R2a, one T and one L, I would say these cameras are generally well built, with good shutters, good vibration levels and surprisingly good center-weighted metering (even on the L, which is available for very little money). Bessa noise levels are noticeably higher, this is due to their design with a gray baffle in front of the shutter which is used for metering and which has to fall out of the way before each exposure. It is the presence of this baffle that makes the center-weighted metering possible.

A feature (not necessarily a problem) with all Bessas (except of course the L) is the shorter-base rangefinder compared with Leica M (examples of Leica M with the highest viewfinder magnification have the longest effective base, the Bessa T I believe has the longest base of any Bessa). If you were thinking of using a 90 mm f2 Summicron, 75 mm f1.4 Summilux, etc., this might be an issue.

The only thing I would call a problem is that the Bessa rangefinder mechanism is not as shockproof as a Leica. I would expect a Leica to survive, for example, a fall of 3 feet onto a carpeted floor without damage, a Bessa might not. I am told by my camera repairman that a Bessa rangefinder is a comparatively simple arrangement. Aside from that, I would say the Bessas are quite rugged (shutter, film wind, lens mount, etc.).

Regards,

David

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Donald,

Oh, I see -- a commemorative. Sorry, I hadn't heard of it. Yes, at that point, it is expensive, and if you already have a 50mm lens, I wouldn't necessarily go for the Heliar. I was of course referring (erroneously) to the R2, which is also M-mount: the L and R are the only screw models from memory. You can see why I'd make the mistake...

I'd be surprised if there were any significant differences in operation or reliability between the original R2 and the R2M, so my endorsement of the basic camera still stands.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Clearing through all of the confusion above - I'd only add that it is NOT expensive.

Have you seen the price of a Leica M7?

BTW: I am a Nikonian - I have the CV Bessa R2S (two of them, actually) and they are very nice cameras for the price. You won't go wrong with Steve Gandy, the owner of Camera Quest.

For more info, you might want to go to: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/

Steve actually now owns the site - but it's been around a long time and has tons of info on the whole CV Bessa line.

Have fun, shoot film, post here!

the r2m is now in regular production, in both glossy and smooth matte black paint.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I love my Bessas but DO NOT DROP THEM. My R2 was never the same.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin