Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,848   Online: 954

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post
    What is a Contax IIIc? I never heard of it.
    Oh the horrors of having multiple residences! Tonight I'm down here in NYC and the Contax is up in Copake.

I think its nomenclature is IIIc - I will check tomorrow night and report back. It is post-WWII, 1950's and West German. The "scanty" user manual is in English and importer was in NYC etc.

Like I said, I'll let you know for sure tomorrow night. I think it was about the last of the line, BTW.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hey George,

None of the German Contax cameras were marked with a model designation, other than Contax.

The II was meterless, and the III had a meter. This was a prewar camera.

The IIa was meterless, and the IIIa had a meter. This is a postwar camera.

And of the course the I was meterless and a box.

Anyone who receives any Contax and Zeiss lenses as a gift should feel very fortunate indeed. Put them to good use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sausage100uk View Post
    I have just been given a contax III with 4 lenses and a close up set by my father in law....is that any good????
    You may find that the meter no longer works. If it does, you need to figure out how those exposure factors work.

Do you know if it is a III or a IIIa? Where was it made? The IIIa was made in West Germany--Stuttgard, I think; the III was pre-war (i.e. WWII) and made in Jena. Is it synched for flash? If so, it is probably a IIIa, although some IIIs had flash synchs retro fitted after the war.

Shooter
    35mm
    Its definitely a III, the serial number (trusting to an internet source) relates to 1938. I'm having a hard time finding anyone who will be willing to service it, lots of replies of "we can adjust the rangefinder but wont touch the shutter"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're in the UK? Look-up Steve Ash.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    I did and got an e-mail from him this evening, going to be at least Nov before he can do it but I'd rather wait and get it done properly.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The quick way to tell a prewar cameras from a postwar model:

-- The self-timer and rangefinder window are in vertical alignment on the postwar cameras (IIa and IIIa).

-- On the prewar models, the rangefinder window is to the left of the self-timer (when looking at the front of the camera).

The prewar bodies are not marked as being produced in Jena, except for a handful of postwar cameras. The postwar IIa/IIIa camera always has "Stuttgart" engraved in the accessory shoe.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sausage100uk View Post
    Its definitely a III, the serial number (trusting to an internet source) relates to 1938. I'm having a hard time finding anyone who will be willing to service it, lots of replies of "we can adjust the rangefinder but wont touch the shutter"
    Strauss-Photo-Technical Service, Mount Olivet Road, in Washington, DC USA used to service the Contax. Martin Strauss, the owner at the time I sent my Contax III, had apprenticed with Emanuel Goldberg, the inventor of the Contax.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Hey George,

None of the German Contax cameras were marked with a model designation, other than Contax.

The II was meterless, and the III had a meter. This was a prewar camera.

The IIa was meterless, and the IIIa had a meter. This is a postwar camera.

And of the course the I was meterless and a box.

Anyone who receives any Contax and Zeiss lenses as a gift should feel very fortunate indeed. Put them to good use.
    I agree there's no model number on the camera body - my bad.

Now that I'm up in Copake, I'm looking at the camera but can't find the manual (bet it's back in the City where I used to keep the camera!).

Anyway, it's at least a IIIa - has the meter (not working) and the never-ready case indicates it was made in Stuggart.

Damn, I wish I could find that manual!

I guess you can tell I don't use the camera much!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These are the meterless models. First is the Contax II, 1938 Dresden production. Prewar, these cameras were made in Dresden and the lenses were made in Jena. There are some very rare postwar cameras made in Jena that are of the prewar design.

2nd is the Contax IIA black dial variant, 1953 Stuttgart production.

What exactly is wrong with your camera? I restore my own but I cannot realistically commit to taking other people's cameras on as extra work. If you PM me, I may know somebody in Europe that could get your camera going much quicker than November.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin