Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,587   Online: 1203

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Should I resist G.A.S.?

Some time ago I was handed a Leica M3 DS with case and collapsible Summicron 50/2. Unfortunately, the M3 was way beyond economic repair - both rangefinder and shutter are dead. So this lens has been sitting on my desk, and when I cleared off some papers it started staring at me. So I am pondering whether to get a body for it, or sell it. My usual rangefinder kit, at least when I am not goofing around with an Argus or using one of the Japanese compacts (yes, I have G.A.S), is a Bessa R and a Canon L1, with a mix of Voigtlander, FSU, and Canon lenses.

So, do you guys think I should get a Bessa R2 to go with the lens, or find the lens a new home? Basically, is the 'cron so special that I will notice a difference from my other glass?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    So, do you guys think I should get a Bessa R2 to go with the lens, or find the lens a new home? Basically, is the 'cron so special that I will notice a difference from my other glass?
    It's a slippery slope no longer worth going down. You will never be satisfied with one lens/one body. You will want other focal lengths.

And, then the R2 will seem too "cheapo" for the various Leitz lenses and you will lust after a Leica body. And then, which Leica? New M7? Or, go digi?

So, sell the lens.

Or keep the lens, join Photo.net and get a M8 as a rear lens cap! 'Cause that's where you'll be headed!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    DBP,

Save yourself from GAS.

Just send the lens to me and I will give it a good home and a body to match.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Gas? www.cameragas.com

Basically, is the 'cron so special that I will notice a difference from my other glass?
    I believe so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    give in you know its time

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Being married, I can catch up on GL and As the World Turns. And Oprah. Dr Oz was on a couple of weeks ago. He got a call about holding in gas to avoid embarassment. Did you know that the human body produces one litre of gas in a 24 hour period. Holding it in can create bad cramps and pain.

This being said, you should give in to your G.A.S. If you do not, first you will have some mild discomfort. Then you gadget bag starts to swell. Then before you know it your Leica starts making noises reserved for the barnyard, drawing glares and stares of passersby. Then, comes the I-can't-bear-it-any-longer explosive outtake that leaves people smelling stop bath four blocs over. So, do yourself a favor. A. your G. before your further suffer from the S.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought an M6TTL and 50 Summicron on Father's Day this year - it was such a good deal that I couldn't afford not to buy it. I was in the same place your are - after reading so much about the Leica mystique I had to find out whether all the fuss was justified. I told myself that I would try it out for a couple of weeks and then sell it for a modest profit and I would then have the Leica cuiosity satisfied. After 5 or 6 rolls I can tell you...

I will never sell this camera. Ever. But my wife says that I have to stop sleeping with it. Apparently, that pillow is hers.:rolleyes:
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is pointless to resist, young Luke (LOL).....
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tell your wife that you picked it up on Evil-Bay for $50.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No wife, I only have to justify these things against my other hobbies, such as SCUBA and sailing. And the Leica mystique didn't grab me so much as the fact that I had an expensive lens sitting on my desk that wasn't getting used. I hate to see gear sit idle. So, the Bessa R2 should arrive tomorrow. Then I am tempted to do the sort of thing I normally would not do, like maybe some subjective lens tests comparing the Summicron, my 35/2.5 Skopar, and some FSU glass. I'm also tempted to take some matching shots with my Argus C-3 to see if the average person can see the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin