Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,172   Online: 732

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    you guys all sound like my girlfriend -haha.
    she always says "why do you have to have every possible combination? let me decide what you take!". i haven't let her yet, but maybe i will. however, with her knowledge of photo equipment i might as well put all my equipment in a hat and draw it out. we're going out for a couple days on a hiking today actually. maybe i'll put her to the test.

however, for someone who is interested in getting into medium format and 35mm rangefinders are there any suggestions on a medium-sized budget? i was considering the mamiya 6 for MF, but it might be a little much unless i sell my bronica system. also was thinkin a contax g1 system with the 28,50,90 combo for 35mm.
    You have the wrong girlfriend.

Mine encourages me to take what equipment I want. Encourages me to take photographs and never complains about waiting. And if I decide not to take camera equipment thats ok too.

Time to trade in your girlfriend for a newer model.:o

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    ... Time to trade in your girlfriend for a newer model.:o

Steve
    Consider an older model instead. They tend to be more "rounded" and less costly on the maintenance.

When I travel with my girlfriend for anything but a pure photography trip, I bring only one bag of photo gear.

It's amazing what you can fit in one of those big LowePro bags!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post

When I travel with my girlfriend for anything but a pure photography trip, I bring only one bag of photo gear.

It's amazing what you can fit in one of those big LowePro bags!
    Agreed! This is a wise approach to assuring a blissful relationship.

My current LowePro bag is large enough that when not in use - I rent it out as a studio apartment in Manhattan!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Consider an older model instead. They tend to be more "rounded" and less costly on the maintenance.
    Shhhhh... don't let the big secret out. Most younger guys (and some older guys as well) wouldn't believe that there is any truth to this great advise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Being happily married for the last 12 or so years, I have no current experience with these issues, but...

IIRC, it is not a good idea to tell any girlfriend that she is "well rounded, and less costly on the maintenance".

Especially the "well rounded" part.

"Knowledgeable and always right" might work though.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For a number of years I had two travel setups, depending on how much equipment I wanted to take... 1.) A FM2 with 105 f2.5 and 35. f2.0. and a Zeiss Ikon Nettar 6x6 folder, meter, flash with sync cord.
    2.) FM2 with..., Mamiya C220 65mm lens, 180mm lens. flash..., meter.

That's it.

Now that I have the rb67... I might have to rethink that.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

... and they can carry more too...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ahem. Speaking as a female member of the forums with about 10 different cameras, only 2 tend to go out with me. I get the husband to carry two more that he likes to use too. He gets the SLRs with all the lenses and filters and most of the film. I get a 35mm Finetta 88 and an Ilford Sporti or two and that fits in a little tiny camera bag with a clipflap. Means I always have my camera at hand and I can have quite a lot of choice as far as what films go in what cameras. You have to learn to lighten your brain - stop concentrating on what camera will give you the best shot and realise that you and your brain will produce excellent shots with whatever you have at hand if you let it.
    Let go and be free.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm also agree with the "less is more" mentality. If you're going to keep dwelling on shots you've missed, you'll never be happy because there'll always be something you won't be able to get.

With that said, I highly recommend something from the Voigtlander Bessa R series. Keep your eye on KEH for good deals. Rangefinderforum has a few good deals going on in their classifieds right now too.

My R2 and CV35/2.5P2 have renewed my interest in 35mm photography all over again.
    Derrick

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Being happily married for the last 12 or so years, I have no current experience with these issues, but...

IIRC, it is not a good idea to tell any girlfriend that she is "well rounded, and less costly on the maintenance".

Especially the "well rounded" part.

"Knowledgeable and always right" might work though.

Matt
    Frances Schultz is happy with all of the above, or has been so far (25th wedding anniversary 2 weeks ago)

But when it comes to carrying heavy cameras, wasn't there a guy called Oskar Barnack or something like that?

Cheers,

Roger

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin