Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,023   Online: 907

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leica or Ikon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders McNew View Post
    My brother David, until last month I would heartily have agreed with you. But I have recently learned that older screwmount Leicas in less-than-pristine condition may be had for a song these days. They are quirky machines -- jewellike in construction, a joy in the hand, but squinty to frame and focus. If you play to the character of the old screwmount lenses, they can repay dividends.

Sanders
    Fair enough, but I had such a thing in my Voigtlander Vitessa-L. The 50/2.0 Ultron is probably my favorite 50mm lens for 35mm, the only problem being that it's 35mm, so I sold it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well, I've used all of 'em, and reviewed 'em for the comics, and my favourite comment comes from another reviewer (I apologize for forgetting who, but I think it was in AP. Or it might have been the BJP):

If Voigtlander, ZI and Leica were all made by the same manufacturer, their prices would accurately reflect their position in the market place.

Voigtlanders are superb cameras, and incredible value for money.

Leicas are, well, Leicas....

ZIs are somewhere between. Even my wife Frances Schultz, who likes the ZI very much and finds it easiest of all to hand-hold for long exposures, says she's want to try the ZI and MP side by side for 6 months before making a decision (the MP has better metering and M-series Leicas have a longer track record).

And all the Zeiss lenses we've tried are superb.

See also
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com/sgallery/g%20zi%20i.html

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Well, I've used all of 'em, and reviewed 'em for the comics, and my favourite comment comes from another reviewer (I apologize for forgetting who, but I think it was in AP. Or it might have been the BJP):

If Voigtlander, ZI and Leica were all made by the same manufacturer, their prices would accurately reflect their position in the market place.

Voigtlanders are superb cameras, and incredible value for money.

Leicas are, well, Leicas....

ZIs are somewhere between. Even my wife Frances Schultz, who likes the ZI very much and finds it easiest of all to hand-hold for long exposures, says she's want to try the ZI and MP side by side for 6 months before making a decision (the MP has better metering and M-series Leicas have a longer track record).

And all the Zeiss lenses we've tried are superb.

See also
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com/sgallery/g%20zi%20i.html

Cheers,

Roger
    This would seem to be correct.

My expectation is that CV positions the Voigtlander at the low price point versus the Leica. This leaves the middle for the ZI that it builds for CZ under supervised license.

I'd guess that CZ is really more interested in developing its lens line (both as to f-lengths built under license by CV and those built in-house) but realizes that it needs a quality (if not necessarily, top quality) body to provide a systemic opportunity.

For this reason, I would not expect many "improvements" to the CV-constructed under CZ supervision ZI body going forward. But it probably is a good "buy" - especially as "price pointed" against CV's own R3M etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    Considering that the Leica reps let me try that M7 with a 90mm lens, and that the Zeiss Ikon doesn't really accomodate a 90mm as well, I would lean towards the M7. However, it really depends upon what lenses you want to use with the camera.

A G Studio
    Although the ZI does not have 90mm framelines, its 85mm framelines have virtually the same coverage. I've used a 90mm lens on the ZI and the framing is spot on.

If you intend to use 75mm lenses, however, the ZI doesn't really accommodate those.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by troym View Post
    Although the ZI does not have 90mm framelines, its 85mm framelines have virtually the same coverage. I've used a 90mm lens on the ZI and the framing is spot on.

If you intend to use 75mm lenses, however, the ZI doesn't really accommodate those.
    Seconded. Taking the MP 90mm frame as 100%, the ZI 85mm frame is identical; the M2 is 3% bigger; the R2 is 6% bigger; the R3A, 3% smaller.

Test: cameras on tripod at fixed distance, edges of horizontal field of view marked with film canisters.

All in-camera frames are 'scant', not least because they do not change size to accommodate focusing variations: the zoom TEWE finder, with separate indices for infinity and 1m/3 feet, shows almost 20% more at infinity and 12% more at 1 metre; the Russian turret finder shows 9% more; and the Voigtlander accessory finder (which has twin frames for infinity and close-up) shows 12% more at infinity and 6% less at 1m.

I'm currently waiting for an 85/2 from Zeiss to compare coverage...

Cheers,

Roger (these figures are from www.rogerandfrances.com, but they're in one of the paid-for modules, the ZI test).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin