Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,550   Posts: 1,573,051   Online: 812

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Fed 5B that works perfectly. The lens quality is exceptional, (Industar 61) sharp as a tack, good contrast and bokeh. The camera and lens, however, feel like all the machining was done by Leningrad Locomotive Works. It's a fun camera with results that look like they didn't come from a "fun" camera. I had a Fed 2 with a collapsable lens. The camera seemed a little better built, but the lens (uncoated) was a POS.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    Just curious - of course cameras like this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/White-Dove-Lei...QQcmdZViewItem
    are tarted-up FEDs, but all the same some one has put an incredible amount of effort into this camera for the asking price...
    I can't speak for their usability, but given the number of fake Luftwaffe Leicas in Kyiv waiting for unsuspecting tourists to snatch up a 'bargain', it's not a lot of work when one such sale is enough to feed a family for a month. The one shop here that does sell used gear lists them as fakes, but the few times I dealt with street sellers (for 9x12cm Zeiss plate cameras) they had no qualms about insisting on the cameras' pedigree. I think they put these on auction to keep themselves in beer money in the mean time.
    Last edited by Jim_in_Kyiv; 10-23-2007 at 01:23 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I'm an editor; editing is what I do
    The Kiev 88: Mamiya's key to success in Ukraine.

Photography without film is like Macroeconomics without reading goat entrails, and look at the mess that got us into.

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a FED 1 from a fellow in the Ukraine a number of years ago. He serviced it first (sort of) and replaced the curtains. Loading the film was a challenge: couldn't get the takeup reel to seat all the way. So I went to work with Q-Tips and Ronsonol, and it mounts quite nicely now.

I have used this with Industar collapsable lenses with nice results. It's not a Leica. It fits in my back pocket. Also excellent for self-defence, as are many cameras of that era.

All in all, it's a lot of fun. I especially get a kick from its name, because as an older Cold Warrior, I knew Dzerkinsky to have been a nasty piece of work, and I like to make pastoral photos with the FED.
    Jeff Polaski
    "A full-time job seriously interferes with photography."

Shooter
    35mm
    Having bought a FED-5b I can see why the factory was converted for making tank parts - they were half-way there already

The 61 L/D is really nice, however, and I scavenged the fixed take-up spool for the FED-2 I was gifted with (I've discovered I HATE removable take-up spools - not bad in concept but easily fails/wears out in practice), so it wasn't a total waste

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a zorki 1D , A kiev 4 and a few others What I have noticed the older russian cameras seem to work much better than the newer one's. I use an leica 5cm lens with the zorki 1D with no problems . A good second camera

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin